Spirals

A handy person from USA says:
I have 11 sashes, weight is 34 lbs?.length 3ft. high?..4ft wide??I want to know what balances would be the best options??.can you quote me on the price including all the attachments and screws needed for the job it is as I mentioned 34/35 lbs. They are 3 ft. In hight and 4ft. Wide. Sashes are tight. They do not have any balances at this time. I assume perhaps they may have at some time as there is a cove cut into sides of sashes and that is half inch wide. Sashes had single pain but previous owners adapted double glaze . These sashes are in a late 1800 building. I have inspected sashes they seem quite good shape.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20201008_130406_resized_4.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I am not certain myself, as these windows are obviously very old, but I'm running your question past some of my senior colleagues, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can with more information. Thanks. 

A contractor from USA says:
I have contacted you in this regard 2 weeks ago.....it is rather ridiculous that your team cannot address my question on which product best suits these sashes immediately ......either you don't understand your product and therefor you do not want to endorse which product to use in this situation....I am a contractor my clients are waiting ...if I don't get an answer soon this client will go some where else....if you do not cannot supply me with the proper information then let me know.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

One of the oldest and still used today is Series 500 non tilt balance for wood sashes. The formula to determine the sash balance length for a wood window is to add three inches to the height of the glass for the bottom sash, and 2" for the top sash. You gave a sash height of 36",so I estimated the balances for the top sash to be 34" and the bottom sash 35". For the sash weighing 34-35 lbs, go with black tip balances. They hold sash weight up to 40 lbs. You would use the 17-012 bracket with this balance. 

For installation, you would screw the balance tube at the top of the window track with the 33-017 screw. Raise the sash and have someone hold the sash up while you screw the 17-012 bracket on the bottom of the sash to corral the spiral. To screw in the bracket, use the 33-073 screw. Now hook the end of the spiral with the 75-005 tool and give it about four turns. Then lock the bow tie at the end of the spiral to the the 17-012 bracket. Do the same on the other side and try the sash. If it creeps down, give the spiral another turn. 

Thank you Paul,,,,can you supply me with a price for all that is necessary for the 11 sashes? Regards, Dusty
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Dusty. We have a detailed price breakdown for each part Paul suggested on their respective store pages, including quantity discounts.

Thank you I will go over the list of materials suggested ....and get back to you with an order request.
Paul stated to Use Spiral Series 500 and go with Black tip Balances....? I took a look at your parts pages for Spirals and do not see a series 500 and I do see one in Black...but its not 500 series....what am I missing here?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Paul estimated you might need the S500-34 and S500-35, based on the sash heights that you provided. If you click on those links, you'll see both balances have Black Tip options. Let me know if you have further questions. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.