Spring balances

A home owner from Dallas says:

Good morning I'm looking for help identifying the replacement spring balance for these windows. And also how to replace them.

These are 1998 vintage single hung windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ted

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5D4F7526-8BC2-4F31-A969-CD5454184C42.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 56A22ADA-2205-45B6-9A26-8E9F08371F4A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 411C0617-4C49-44D3-A768-47A45C740D0C.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Ted. This looks like a non tilt window spiral balance, which means we'll need more information before I can recommend a replacement. Specifically, I'll need you to remove the original and show me a clear picture of the bottom end. I'll also need to know the exact diameter and length of the outer metal tube.

As for actually how to remove it, that's a tricky question at this stage. That depends on what type it is, which I can't determine with so many important details obscured. How about this: open the window and take a picture of the bottom corner where the balance connects to the sash. Maybe that will give me a better idea of what you have and if it's something we can help with. Make sure to have a friend hold the window up for you if the balances can't support its weight anymore.

A home owner from Dallas says:
The tube diameter is .38"
Tube length looks to be 35"
The entire window side channel is 70" from the top mounting screw connection to the bottom window frame.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2E64A318-4524-42F8-9A12-ACF3BF1B75D2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9324E066-1C47-40F2-BD9D-268CBC6F4649.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you. So to uninstall this balance, you're going to need a tool like our 75-005 to hook into the tip of the spiral, which should be just a little further up the side of the sash from the bottom. Have that same friend from before hold the sash up while you pull down on the tool to unhook the balance from the sash. Then, lower the window, unscrew the balance at the top of the track, and pull it up and out from the sides.

I think I know what you have and I don't think we can get it for you anymore. We may have a work-around, but it's unverified and I can't know if it's going to work for you or not.  There's also a chance you have something that we can still get after all but I won't be sure about that until I see the design of this hook here. Let me know when you can get that for me

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.