Spring mechanism

A quick learner from Hope Mills, NC says:
Pat:5,353,548

Spring mechanism for a vinyl window
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 13AC655A-AD6D-49C5-B6C9-BD7B2D595E27.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7DD9CDC7-E162-46D7-86F2-86884EACC5A4.jpeg
Additional photos of type of coil spring I need.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1325D835-7C08-4C74-A261-37213C134DDB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

It appears your hardware is a match for our 15-087 which uses the Series 180 coil springs. Take a look and see what you think. To determine what coil weight option you'll need, check the band of the spring for a code. We've also related a video that will show you how to remove your hardware using the cutout method. 

On the spring there is a number 48 V or u. I'll need to get two sets and will need the expansion tool.
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

We carry the 75-069 jamb spreader set but we only recommend these to professionals who do this type of work often since they are quite expensive and not eligible to be returned. For homeowners, we recommend following the cutout method shown in the video below. 

The stamp on your spring doesn't match any of our weight options, however. If you could obtain the exact sash weight and tell us, we can calculate what coil weight you'll need from there. 

The windows are around 25 lbs.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there! Emily isn't here today but I'll do my best to assist you from here.

The rule of thumb for weighing coil springs like this is to get the exact weight of the sash and then divide that by how many springs support it. In your case, you have two springs per side; for a 25 pound sash, that comes out to 6.25 pounds of support per spring, ideally.

Now, they don't make springs with quarter pound weights, so we will have to round down to 6 pounds per. That gives you 24 pounds of support, which should be perfectly fine assuming that your sash is indeed 25 pounds; on that note, I highly recommend that you get the exact weight. Estimations just aren't sufficient when it comes to this kind of hardware. Don't guess: remove the sash and place it on a scale to figure out precisely what you're dealing with.

I weighed the sash and it is 25lbs.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for verifying. In that case, I would suggest the 6 pound weight option for the Series 180 that Emily recommended.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.