Stanley (~2002) double hung window PIVOT BAR

A home owner from Bloomington, Indiana says:

Hi! I am trying to find pivot bars for the windows in our house. They look like the ones shown on the attached photo.

I've noticed you ask for a photo of an unbroken pivot bar in many question/posts like this but I've had no luck finding one so far. I've tried to remove a pivot bar from several windows and they are break almost immediately, I can only imagine they have become too brittle with age.

These are Stanley (contractor grade?) double hung dual-pane windows with the window balance part "26 5 BV CMC 4" as also shown on the second attached photo.

So far I've been able to confirm the width/height of the narrow part of 26-400 to be 5/16" and 3/16" but not been able to confirm the length or other dimensions on your part's photo above.

I am hopeful you will be able to assist me in finding this part. Once I find the right part, odds are I will buy ~20 of them given how they seem to be broken on all my windows ;-)

Also, is the pivot bar part the same for both top and bottom sashes?

Thanks in advance!

-Arvind

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2019-06-08 Window Hardware1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2019-06-08 Window Hardware2.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Arvind. I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to say which pivot bar you need based on these photos alone. In particular, the distance between the center of each mounting hole and the tip of the pivot bar that fits into the sash is a very important dimension to consider. Therefore either the 26-400 or 26-369 might work for you, but it's really going to depend on those hole spacing dimensions. See if you can find a way to measure this. As long as one hole aligns with your old setup, you should be good to go. 

To answer your question, generally hardware will be the same in a double sash window if they are of the same size, but we advise it's always best to check to be certain. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Bob, thank you for the prompt response! I missed one extra detail - the other side of the sash side of the pivot bar also has a groove same as the other side. I.e. the broken part shown on the first photo with "1074" inscripted on it has a groove same as the other broken pivot bar on the top of the same photo. That leads me to conclude that 26-400 is the winner. However, perhaps I should buy 1 and try it before ordering a large number. :-) -a
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Arvind. Yes, the '1074' inscription appears associated with the 26-400; but I believe I've also seen it associated with our 26-369 and even our 26-412. These pivot bars are all very similar. Again, hole spacing is ultimately the most critical factor here. If at least one mounting hole aligns to your old pivot bar's configuration, then the new pivot bar will work for you. 

Hi again Bob, I could not quite get a pivot bar out intact but I measured the various parts of a broken one and a window sash itself and am now quite certain I need 26-369. I am thinking of ordering a small number of them to verify and perhaps one each of the other two options just in case. Unless you have a particularly generous return policy for a bulk order. :-)
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Arvind. You can view our Return Policy here. Basically, other than shipping costs, undamaged items can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchasing. Let us know how you make out, and thanks for reaching out to us. 

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.