Storm door beading

A handy person from Loveland, OH says:
This is plastic beading that goes around the inside edges of the glass pane in our storm door. It is designed to snap into a channel in the door frame, but can removed so that the glass can be replaced with a screen during warmer weather. (The beading then snaps back in to hold the screen in place.) Over the years most of the beading has cracked and failed, so I need to replace all of it (29 3/4" x 73 1/4" rectangle).
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220505_075754.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

In the last twenty-five years, storm door companies have found that designing plastic retainer strips instead of using an old fashion storm door clips and screw is less expensive. The problem is that every different door company and sometimes even the same company changes the retainer strip almost every year, making it impossible to stock them. We suggest using a 70-180 storm door clip and drilling a hole for a 33-020 screw. Take a look and see what you think.

A handy person from Loveland, OH says:
Thanks Paul. Im trying to picture how this gets installed. Would I be drilling into the sides of the opening in the middle of the storm door, parallel to the glass pane? And then installing the clip so I could slide the short arm of it toward the house exterior (into the glass pane), securing it into place?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

To install the 70-180 and screw, you would need to drill into the main frame of the storm door. They, you'd set the clip where it needs to be to secure the storm door glass panel in place. Make sure to mark the hole locations with a pencil before drilling a 1/8" hole to install the screw. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.