Storm door latch broken and stuck in door jam

A home owner from Denville Nj says:
Hi!
HELP!
My storm door latch Is broken and stuck in the door jam. I removed the glass pane and whatever parts I could, but could not get the latch to release. Do you have any suggestions?

The door is an older one?(20+ years?). As far as replacement parts, would COMPLETE MORTISE LOCKSET, BRASS Product Code: 40-049 work?
I don't see any markings on the door that indicate the brand.

Many thanks?Denise
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FCBDF5EE-220B-4C24-BB10-FA0C58750963.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6B73A684-7DDF-4FD5-AB03-9BF422E10C2D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 97408FBE-D7D1-41DC-B305-D24614A610C5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 26ADBEC4-F2DE-4335-950B-5C72FB7C4077.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4BB2798B-136C-42D8-868C-8E01391187F4.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

The 40-049 certainly might work, but without seeing the mortise lock fully removed from the door I can't say for sure. Unfortunately if the door can't be opened, it gets a little tricky. You may need to hire a pro to come and cut open a hole to remove the mortise lock. I apologize we can't be of more help, and ebst of luckw ith the repair. 

Bob, thanks for responding.
I will get a locksmith to drill a hole and remove the lock. Then will send you pictures. Is it easy to replace the lock?..can I do it myself?
Denise
Profile picture of Bob

If your lockset does match the 40-049, no it is not a very difficult process. See the video on this page for details. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Hi. Finally got the rest of the lock out. Here are pictures. Please let me know which lock sets can be replacements. Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8CA0B90E-AE1F-4F63-8EDE-1D7569ECE786.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2BBF1B09-78BB-4A0A-8107-E7CF1ECAAEBF.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for these photos. The 40-049 is certainly our closest match. Review the dimensions listed in the pictures on the lockset's shop page. Let me know if anything differs. 

How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.