Storm window latch for holding in upper open position

A friend from Wiscasset Maine says:
latching 36" wide storm window on a colonial house. Currently 35 yr old plastic. Windows mfg by possibly "Solaire " not sure. About 23 sets are needed.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1C047FCD-4AB7-4962-80E4-112F1923337E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 802DD86E-BF43-42A7-B4A4-0DFB64B3ACF2.jpeg
I'll take another photo with proper dimensions in the very near future. I need to take apart the window from a frame soon, giving me better access to the part.
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

I can't be sure without seeing an undamaged latch removed from the window, I'm afraid. Our 91-175 comes to mind and looks like a good place to start though. Review the specifications and see how they compare with an undamaged version of your latch. 

Thank you Emily,

I found out a little more, but it seem to look at another window with a good existing latch may help, most are kaput. The channel in the window is 1/4" deep by 3/8" wide (closer to 0.4). Attached are a couple photos too. Unsure if what you proposed will fit in the channel.

Let me know as time permits and I'll try finding a better example of an existing tab in one piece.

Kind Regards,
Paul
Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid your photos didn't come through. However, our 91-175 would be our best option, unfortunately. Storm window hardware like this is a dying breed which makes it difficult to get a hold of, sadly. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Hi,

Let us try the photo again.

If you think there is a chance it fits, how do I go about purchasing 1 first to give it a try?

Thank you for your insights and expertise.

Kind Regards,
Paul
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1717.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1718.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

I can't guarantee the 91-175 latch pair will work for you without seeing an undamaged version but I do think they're a good place to start. You can place an order for this part directly on our website and our return policy can be found here just in case!

Hi Emily,

Update includes three photos of a good latch, and photo regarding a new subject: upper corner storm window pivot-brace.

Do either of these items exist in your offerings? If dimensions or pictures of removed parts helps, let me know.

Thank you for helping with your expertise on this window project.

Cordially,

Paul 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1820.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1819.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1818.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1817.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

Our 91-175 is our best option but I'm afraid I can't identify the other part you show here. I would need to see it removed from the frame along with the dimensions. 

Good morning,

How about this time? Do the photos add anything?

Thanks,
Paul
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1819.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1818.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1817.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1820.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

These photos appear to be the same as your previous discussion post so they don't tell us anything new, unfortunately. We still need to see the corner hardware removed from the window in order to help. 

Hi Emily,

The storm window latch you advised fit and so far is keeping the window in the up position. I am looking forward to replacing many more.

Regarding the corner tight key, are there other options than the two in the photo? Removing the springs on Swisco item 95-140 is a close fit, but a 0.065 gap remains between the mitered frame ends. 2 photos, one with existing key dimensions are included.

Please advise as time permits and thank you for helping.

Best Regards,
Paul
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1835.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can be of help. What I would do to close up that corner on the storm sash would be to either cut the notch on the storm sash a little longer or file down the "shoulder" on the tilt key.

How to install a window screen latch
How to install a window screen latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.