Can you replace the string on an Andersen sash balance?

A quick learner from Port Byron, NY says:
The strings have broken on 2 of my Anderson windows. These windows are seldom opened up since we have central air. What could be the cause of the strings coming loose? One is a large window and the other a small one. How do I know what size to order without taking the windows apart?

Thank you for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. It sounds like you need new Andersen Sash Balances. You can view our full selection here to start out. 

To determine which sash balance would be the best replacement for your application, we'll need to use the stamps printed on the original as a reference. The problem with that is that there are going to be a lot of stamps and not all of them are going to be relevant. I recommend removing the balance box from the header and then sending us pictures of each stamp you see printed on it. I can then pick out the right number and advise accordingly

The video below shows the best method of how to remove and replace Andersen sash balances. For further guidance, see our blog article on the topic here

A quick learner from Port Byron, NY says:
RE: my 8/10 post and your 8/12 reply. The number on the balance is J17-5#23-685. I think it is a # sign-hard to read. We put the windows in early 80's. The emblem on the window has AW inside a triangle, a 5 to the left and USO under the triangle. Other marks on the window is X1 with a R with a circle around it. The window glass size is 24-1/2 X 16. This is what Home Depot said we needed to order the balance, but couldn't find anything.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Thank you. The numbers you see printed around the "#" symbol are the ones we want. Not all Andersen balances include that symbol, but if they do then it's a tell-tale sign that its the code we're looking for. 

In your case, my top recommendation is our 24-531. This can replace balance boxes with the stamp 523, or 5#23 in your case. 

Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions!

A home owner from Hammonton, New Jersey says:
I am confused. Are the sash balances and the cords in Andersen double hung windows one in the same thing or are they two separate things? Does replacing a sash balance replace a broken cord? The windows are about 40 years old and just about every window in the whole house has a broken cord. Should I replace both sides while doing it? What is the cost to replace just the cords on both sides compared to buying new windows? Thanks so much.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C71851A7-CDFF-4A6C-9AA0-CF9A282AFCDA.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! The cord is an integral part of the balance assembly. It extends from the box and cannot be replaced by itself; if the cord snaps for whatever reason, then you need an all new balance.

We do recommend replacing both balances on either side of the window at once, yes. As a rule, you never want to mix old and new balances. Balance springs tend to lose a little tension after years of consistent use, so an older balance will always be somewhat weaker than one that's brand new. That means that when you mix them, the newer balance will have to work extra hard to pick up the slack for its weaker cousin. This causes extra strain on the new part and eventually leads it to wearing out fairly quickly. 

As for cost, replacing the balances alone is far less expensive than replacing the entire window. You can see a detailed price breakdown on each balance's respective store page. See our full selection here.

A handy person from Farmingdale ny says:
My cord just broke , but how do I know which balance to buy ?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

If this is an Andersen window, then the only way to properly identify a match is to remove the old balance box and use the stamps printed on it as reference. Just note that there are usually multiple stamps, many of which are irrelevant, and it's not immediately obvious which one is the appropriate identifier. 

The good news is that we can help you out. If you were to submit photos of each stamp on your original balance box, I'd be happy to make a recommendation. I am very confident I can find you a match that way.

A quick learner from Missouri says:
Do I actually need to replace the balance cord and box if one breaks. I taped the cord to the top of door window so it doesn't get jammed up in the side of the window. Does the balance box and cord help open the window? What's his purpose.? Thanks Mike
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Mike, thanks for reaching out to us. If the cord breaks, then you need an all new balance assembly, yes. These balances don't just help open the window, they also keeps the window open when raised. Without them, your window won't be able to stay up.

To summarize it simply, the cord provides constant upward force to the window to counter-balance the constant downward force provided by gravity. If that upward force isn't present, or even if it's just improperly calibrated, then your window will not function properly.

Lastly, when it comes to Andersen balances then you need to replace the entire mechanism if anything on it breaks, including the cord. As mentioned above, I'd be happy to help you narrow down the list of possible replacement options. I just need a clear photo of each stamp printed on the box.

Hopefully this information helps. Feel free to reach out if you had any follow up questions!

How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.