Substitute lock for 84-227

A home owner from Washington DC says:
I have a 1/2 inch extruded aluminum patio sliding screen door that has the Swisco lock #84-227 on it. I don't like the grip of the lock. Is there another lock that I can use as a replacement. The screws are 3" apart and the door is 1/2" thick. Thanks in advance for your help.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, there is no other substitute. You must replace your handle with the same kind that is currently on the door. This is because there are certain cut outs and punches in your door frame that accept the lock the manufacturer intended to use. Replacing it with a different handle is almost impossible.

I just had a thought, though. When you grip your existing handle, are you damaging the screen wire? If so take a look at our 80-050.
A quick learner from Maryland says:
Haven't damaged the screen mesh ... yet! But that's my concern. I'll order the 80-050 guard. Can't hurt and it's a simple/cheap protector.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)