Tension Cord Hangers

A home owner from Manassas, VA says:

Hello, I am looking to replace broken plastic tension cord hangers in some very old (1987) Huttig wood windows. The first picture is of one of the hangers, and you can see that one of the tabs is broken off. The second picture is my crude attempt to draw in the missing tab. With both tabs, the hanger is an inch long and 5/8 inch wide, and the tabs themselves are 3/8 inch wide. The third picture is a side view of the hanger, about 7/16 inch high.

Some time ago, I bought a few of your 62-108 tension cord clips thinking I could bend them to work, but after bending the first one, it is only 7/8 inch long (vs. the one inch plastic piece) and I think the metal will be too fatigued to support the window long term (see the fourth picture).

So, White Supply in Fredericksburg, VA suggested I send you pictures to see if you have a replacement metal tension cord hanger that might work. I am a homeowner but pretty handy, so if you have something close, I might be able to get it to work. Many of the existing plastic hangers are broken, although all of the balances seem to work.

Thank you for checking it out.

Dave 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 100_3602.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 100_3597.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 100_3601.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 100_3596.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Dave. I'm not sure what you're showing me here, unfortunately. This looks like a small part broken off of a larger mechanism. If this is off of a balance, then odds are you need an all new balance, not just this little piece.

I need more context in order to help. I need to see what this looks like in the window, undamaged, and the rest of the hardware it works with, if possible.

Here are two views of a metal tension cord hanger installed in the window. This particular window came with metal tension cord hangers. The other windows in the house have the plastic ones (which are breaking). I want to replace just the tension cord hangers with metal ones if you can find them. The hanger is about 1 1/8 inch long and 1/2 inch across. The tension cord from the balance is tied to the hanger where it can't be seen.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 100_3607.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 100_3609.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I was afraid this may be the case. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we can replace. Since this is a wood window, I recommend contacting a local mill work to see if they can set you up with a new jamb liner system. That is ultimately what you will need to replace.

OK. Thank you for checking.
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.