The outer tilt window pivot bar distance and length and reinstalling into the pivot shoes.

A quick learner from New York says:
I had to replace a pivot, I bought the same as the opposite side. I noticed that the outer window it is longer than the inner window by 1/2 inch. The inner is 1/2 inch on both sides. I replaced one on the inner also. Are the pivots suppose to expose the same distance of bar on each end?

Why are the outer window pivots 1/2 inch longer than the inner? Was this an error by someone who came to fix it previously?

Should I match the length, as I did to the inner window? Meaning, make the pivot equal to the opposite end of 1 inch exposure of bar.

Or should I change the 1 inch to 1/2 inch as the inner window?

They are tilt windows using S600 spirals 20 inch red tipped. The pivots are one screw solid bars.

Also how do I install them back in? I understand to put one side in at angle but should one shoe be higher up slightly to facilitate reinstalling the window! Let?s say 15 degrees or a half inch higher on the following side?

Can you please make a video showing specifically how this is done.

Tried to add photos but it?s not opening.

I did just notice that the inner window is wider than the outer window by about an inch. I think I answered one of my questions on bar length.

I?ll follow up with the photos with another email when I have an email response where I can address it to you.

Thank you.

Ralph

A quick learner from New York says:
Well as it turned out I had to keep on pivot bar loose so I could slide it into the shoe. It was exasperatingly long and difficult to do. Being alone, it took numerous (NUMEROUS) attempts to finally get the loose pivot bar to fall (slide) into the slot.

I had to repeat this for the interior window as well. Arduous task!

They are moving well not sliding down or pulling up. I used 3 turns on the charger.

However, the outer window was going all the way up with no problem until I installed the inner.

I reduced the top retaining screw tension, since I noticed outward flexion bulge on the rod from the red tip area. I thought this would do it I but still can't close the outer window fully. There is a gap of 1/2 visible.

Now what? I will not pull that window out again. I'd rather eat "ghost peppers" than go through that again!

Awaiting your response.

Ralph
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Ralph. I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding your descriptions, here. I don't know what you mean by inner and outer window. Do you mean the bottom and top sashes? Could you show me pictures of the hardware you're using?  I don't know what you had or what you're using as replacements, so I'm not sure how to lead you from here.

I'd also like you to go into more detail on the bulging you mentioned. It sounds like you're talking about the spiral balance, but I don't see how installing a pivot bar would create a bulge in the spiral balance in any way. To be honest, it sounds like you may have picked the wrong pivot bar for the job, but I really can't say until I have a better idea of everything you're doing. Pictures would definitely be the best place to start.

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.