Thermal Industries patio door handle replacement

A home owner from Minnesota, USA says:

I have a Themal Industries patio door and the handle continues to break at one point. When the company was in business, it was easy to find and send me the part. Now I am hoping you can help me. Attached is the picture of the piece that continues to cause me problems. It's 7 1/2 inches long and is die cast. Any help would be appreciated

Rich 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio_door_handle.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to look into this for you but we would need to see the rest of your handle set, as well as confirm the distance between the center of the installation holes, to compare to our inventory. 

Also, if the handle is breaking repeatedly, I would recommend checking your rollers for damage or debris that may be causing buildup. If the door is difficult to move due to problems with the roller or track, that can cause the handle to break prematurely from the excessive force being used to operate the door. Thank you!

Thank you for your response. Well, the handle has broken twice in the same fashion in the 8 years we have had the door. I will be out of town for the next 2+ weeks and when I return I will get you all of the information needed.
I hope these pictures will help?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2252.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2253.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2254.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2255.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2256.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Take a look at the 82-080 handle set, along with the 82-238 mortise lock and 89-030 keeper. You mentioned that your handle keeps breaking, so I would recommend checking the rollers to see if they are operating properly. If the roller or not adjusted correctly or if they are worn, the additional pressure needed to move the door could be the problem. Review the specifications shown on our product pages and see what you think. 

Thank you!! What is your return policy if these handles (and others) don't fit or work on my door?

We're happy to help. You can find our return policy here

OK, Thank you for your help. I just ordered the parts with my fingers crossed they will work on my door.
I have installed the products and they FIT!!! Thank you
One problem I am hoping you can assist me with...
The latch to lock the door is not working. The latch itself will not move from the UP position to the DOWN or locked position. I have taken the unit apart and reinstalled the Double Hook Mortise Lock, thinking I had it in wrong/backwards. However, the same exact thing happens. Any tips or suggestions?
Thank you!!
Rich

For the 82-238 mortise lock to operate properly, the center "anti-slam" button must engage with the keeper to activate the hooks. With the lock set installed in the door, press that center button and try to activate the lock. The problem could be that the anti-slam button is not being pressed. 

I also recommend checking the adjustment on your patio door to make sure the door operates properly and the 82-238 mortise lock lines up with the 89-030 keeper. Take note of where the anti-slam button lines up with the keeper.

Update! Everything works great!! and looks great!!
Thank you for all your help and assistance with my project
I greatly appreciate your time and efforts
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

That's great to hear! Please let us know if there is anything else that we can assist you with. 

How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO 75-077 Slider Slicker Track Lubricant
SWISCO 75-077 Slider Slicker Track Lubricant
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.