Tilt Window Replacement Parts

A quick learner from Marblehead, Ohio says:
I would like to replace the window hardware on my park home. They are tilt in style, bottom windows only and top window is fixed. I searched but can't find the manufacturer of the windows so I hope you can help. I've attached pictures of the shoe and balance hardware. The original balance hardware used cord as part of the mechanism but I would like to change to something better. Can you identify the hardware I currently have and suggest a replacement? My windows are all 60 inches high. I realize that you don't have enough information but since this is my first attempt at this I'm not sure everything you need. I would like to do one window first and if that goes well I will do the remainder. Thanks for the help.

Bob
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_165847.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_170958.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_171236.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_165737.jpg
Here are additional photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_184605.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_184601.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Bob. This is an old block & tackle rod balance that can be replaced by our sturdier Series 775 Channel Balances. You will need to measure the length of the rod to know what length to select. You will then need to measure the weight of the window sash as well as the size of the bottom shoe to know what option you need. If you need to replace your pivot bars as well, look at our 26-021 or 26-241. Compare the dimensions listed in the pictures on each product page and see if either could be a match.

Hi Bob,

The rod is 30 inches and the window weighs 15 lbs. I believe my shoes are ok (pic uploaded) but if you suggest I replace they are 3 inches. Does your previous recommendation still apply?

Thanks,

Bob
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190518_172057.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey, Bob! What you're showing us here is the pivot bar, not the shoe. The shoe is what this pivot bar inserts into. It should be nylon part at the end of the balance cord. 

Profile picture of Bob

Yep, that's what led me to suggest the Series 775. You just need to measure the width of that shoe. If you have an S775-30 balance and your sash is 15 pounds, then you either have the 30B & 1" shoe option or the 30B & 1-1/4" shoe option.

Hi Bob,

Isn't that a pic I sent earlier? Will upload again.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_165847.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Great. If you have any other questions, let us know!

Cool thanks Bob I think I have all the information I need.

Hi Bob.

Installation of the first window went ok with two exceptions. First they sent me two left hand latches. Not a big deal since I will be ordering more parts for the remainder of my project. The second was I could not figure how to get the shoe into the slide without cutting a notch see picture. Is there a trick that I need to know or is this typical? As you can see mission accomplished as the widow stays put now:)

Thanks for the help Bob.

Bob

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190602_122337.jpg
Hi Bob,

Sorry but I have yet more questions. I am now measuring for my other windows and one weighs 12 lbs with a 30 inch bar so I assume I can go ahead and use a 775 30B for the one 1lb difference. However, one of the other sashs is only 7.5 lbs with the same 30 bar length so what balance do i use for this weight as I dont see an option for this window.

Sorry for being a pest and thanks for the help.

Bob Hess
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Cutting a notch is usually a good way to get a pivot shoe out, assuming there isn't enough room to pop it out through the track. We do it all the time. However, we highly recommend cutting the notch at the top of the track for the bottom sash. If the notch is at the bottom of the track, then the shoe could slip out when you raise and lower the window. This could be a problem. You will want to find a way to patch that cutout.

As for the 7.5 pound sash, we don't have anything to support that kind of weight now but we will look into it for you. Can you just confirm that the shoe for that window is also 1" wide?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks, Bob! After looking into it, it appears that the 30A stamp will work well for your sash weight. However, it's very rare, which means we can only provide this as a custom order. I will email you an order link and price quote right now for 2 of these with that stamp.

My colleague Paul also looked over your photos and he believes you can take the shoes out without making a cutout. He told me that you just need to twist it out to slip it out of the track.

Hi Tom,

Ok will patch the notch somehow and after my post I found a spot where the windows overlap to cut the notch at the top. Poor planning on my part. Yes all my windows have a 1" shoe.

Thanks Tom,

Bob
Ok Tom thanks for the info I tried my darndest but will try on the next one.

I have two windows that are part of a bay that are 7.5 pounds.
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.