Tilt Window Shoes

A home owner from Idaho says:

Hi,

I ordered replacement knife lock shoes for my tilt windows. When I replaced the old shoes, I discovered that they were installed incorrectly on all of my windows. The grooved part of the shoe was not aligned with the channel track, instead they were installed backwards. When I put on the new shoe, I found that the cam pivot is not striking it in the correct position to unlock. Plus, my window now sits a little high, putting pressure on the top locks.

Can you please recommend my next course of action? Please see the attached photos. The original shoes are blue, the new ones are black.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7460.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7462.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7463.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7464.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I see that you ordered our 15-197 shoe. However, it looks way, way bigger than the original knife lock shoe. I've never seen a small version like this before so I'm not certain how much size comes into play.

Would you happen to have an undamaged version of the old shoe? That might help me determine if this is something we can get a hold of.

Hi Tom,

I don't have an undamaged original shoe.

But I did make the new black ones work once I swapped the pivot pins from side to side to make them click on the knife the right way. I just couldn't believe that the original installer put all the shoes on all windows backwards with notch facing the flat side of the channel!

I am all good now, just waiting on balances to replace the broken ones because of this installation error.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Alex

Profile picture of Tom

Gotcha! I'm glad you got everything working again.

I'm consistently surprised at the kind of mistakes some contractors make when installing windows, or even just repairing them. Everything from the wrong parts used to upside-down frames, you name it. I'm glad yours was relatively simple to diagnose.

Thank you for the reply, Tom!

I just received the replacement channel balances S751-29, and they are quite a bit deeper, so do not allow the sash to move freely. Can I exchange them for the narrower ones to match my original? Would you please suggest the part number?

Thank you,

Alex
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7533.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7534.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the new balances. They definitely look too big. Thinking back on how small your old knife lock shoe was, I guess I'm not totally surprised. 

Like I mentioned then, this just isn't something I'm familiar with. Please give us a little time to look into whether this is available and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, maybe I can help. I have an idea for what you can use to replace this, but before I suggest anything I'd like you to give me the stamp on the old balance, or, if that's not legible, the exact weight of the sash that it supports. Please also confirm that the width of the channel is 3/8", which appears to be the case.

Hello Paul,

Yes, these are 3/8". Please see the photo of the stamp attached.

Thanks,
Alex
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3617A2E0-FE41-4D39-B775-024110732868.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Great, we're on the right track. Now, we'll need you to confirm the exact weight of the window sash to determine the spring strength needed for your replacement balances. Also, please confirm the number of balances you'd like to order, with the minimum being two. Thank you. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.