Tilt latch replacement (and how to replace)

A quick learner from Michigan says:
I need to replace both the right- and left-hand tilt latches on an old vinyl window. Photos show what I'm working with. The dimensions of the 26-111 item seem to be a match.

I've attached photos - does this look like a match to you? I will need the latch and the sash release levers. The 26-119 levers I think will work. Yes?

Also - my window has two screws near these latches. One at the top and one on the side. I removed these (still have them!) thinking the latch would be easy to remove but I don't see how to get the latches out. Do you have any instructions for removal and replacement? Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-07 11.03.06.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-07 11.03.12.jpg
Here's one more photo showing sash release lever I've got. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-03 13.28.37.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

I'm afraid I can't confirm if the 26-111 is what you have while it's installed but our 26-119 is indeed compatible with this latch. As for how to remove your hardware, I recommend watching the video below. This is for a different latch but the principle for removing the sash cap is essentially the same. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Hi - I tried to get the existing tilt latches out by following the instructions in the "How to replace an internal tilt latch" video that you shared a link to. I couldn't get them out.

The difference I can see between my window and the one in the video is that my window has mitered corners (photo uploaded). The window in the video uses butt joints.

After removing the screws, I banged and banged on the top piece of my window - carefully, but with a bit of heft behind the swings. I couldn't get that top piece to come off in order to access the latches. I noticed that there's a small sort of tab extending from the top piece and wrapping under the point of the latch. This seems to be a blocker to getting the top piece off. Uploaded a photo showing this.

I really do not want to break this window. I just spent $250 fixing the glass on it. Unless I'm missing something I'm thinking the best way forward is to abandon the internal tilt latches and replace them with surface mounted ones, as shown in this Swissco video: https://youtu.be/N06ZUgN0aE4.

Can you please help me figure out which surface mounted latch I need? My window is 1-3/8" thick.

Also my window latch - the one in the middle of the window that locks the window - doesn't work. I've uploaded photos of it. Do you have a replacement part? I've included photos of this locking mechanism.

Thanks for your help!

Also -
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-17 12.47.00.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-17 12.47.10.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-17 12.40.14.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-17 12.40.21.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-17 12.46.24.jpg
Here's a photo of my window with a ruler showing the width measurement. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221017_124433.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Ah, I see. Since your sash was repaired with new glass and being tight in the frame, it appears you won't be able to take the frame apart. With that said, converting to surface mount tilt latches like our 26-228 and 26-229 would be the best option we can offer. Look over the dimensions for these parts and see if you think you could adapt them to the space available on your sash. 

Your sash lock is no longer available but we have the 90-180 and 90-183 if your hole center spacing is 2-1/4". Take a look and see what you think.

Thanks. I ordered all of the stuff you suggested. Fingers crossed! Appreciate your help.
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for your business! We really appreciate it. Let us know if we can be of further help and best of luck with the repairs!

How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.