Tilt latches missing or broken

A quick learner from Massachusetts, USA says:
Hi,

I got in this 3-family property and there's a variety of issues with these old vinyl windows.

Some are missing buttons, but I think I found the right one (26-119), but for the ones that have the missing tooth, I need advice on how to size the surface replacement tilt latch. I noticed there are rh/lf or neutral.

Because it's difficult to access the other units and because I want to buy a few more than I need, I think I need to buy neutrals. Is it true the drawback is that it's a bit harder to put your finger in and thus more uncomfortable to operate?
Any other drawback?

Also, the frame screw that would be under the latch seems to hold the window corner together so I am not so kin on making a new hole. is it pretty standard to try to use that hole (albeit with a slightly longer screw) to secure the latch?

Another issue is the spacing and dimension on the latch itself.
I think I need 15/16" spacing between the base of the tooth and the first screw, but I only find 5/8 or 7/8 . I want to make sure I have a decent part of the tooth sticking into the rail because the closer are not the best.

For the spacing between the screws on the latch itself, the gutter on the frame is already open from 1-1/8" to 2-3/8" spacing from the exterior latch screw. Would that be a good place to try to land in that open part? I see a lot of latches with 2-1/2 or 2-5/16" spacing but that seem too far to land there. Do I have it backwards?

Finally, are screws included with your replacement surface tilt latches? What specs? length and diam.

Thanks
Isabelle
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3752.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3755.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3756.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3758.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3751.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Concerning the release lever, I've never known these to be left/right exclusive. These are pretty much all neutral without any exception I can think of. The same cannot be said of the internal latches themselves, which do usually come in explicitly left/right pairings.

It should also be noted that you can't really just put anything on that window. You also can't install anything in your window other than the exact latch you have now. These are very specific and there isn't any room for alteration. You will need the precise size and spacing of those forks in order to identify the proper match. There is no other way to size these. If you can't measure those forks, you won't be able to find a good replacement. 

If you are looking for a generic option to get around having to find an exact match for the existing hardware, then you should consider changing the entire tilt latch setup with a surface-mount style. This is a pretty handy solution and works on most tilt windows. You can see our full selection of surface-mount latches here. We also have a video guide that show you how it's done.

You basically just need to find a surface-mount tilt latch that will fit on your sash and whose installation holes won't interfere with whatever holes are already on there. We have detailed dimensions for each latch in our inventory that you can use as a reference to find something that will fit that criteria.

A quick learner from Massachusetts, USA says:
Let me clarify a bit more.

I have two issues:
- sash release lever can be replaced with our part 26-119 as I was able to measure the leg and spacing from one that broke only 1 leg. I feel pretty confident.
- neutral replacement tilt latch: for the ones where the tongue is broken, I will have to put a surface mounted tilt latch. For this I need more help.

I found a black neutral tilt latch on your site, but I need a white one around the same price: https://www.swisco.com/Top-Tilt-Latch-Neutral/pd/Surface-Mounted-Latches-For-Tilt-Windows/26-178
I think I need 7/8 dimension between base of tongue and first screw.
However, I wanted to ask for guidance on where I should put the 2nd screw given my original photos and dimensions - as I think the 5/16 spacing will put the screw in the hole and useless.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You're definitely on the right track. If any of the holes in the new latch overlap with the old holes on the sash, then they are not usable. You will have to discard the 26-178 as a possibility.

That's the trickiest part of this whole procedure. You need to find something that will both allow your latch to line up properly and avoid any holes already existing in your window. There is no trick to that, you just have to check measurements until you find something that fits the bill. You also have to consider, though, that there may not be a latch that fits that criteria. Your window was not adapted in this way, so a perfect fit isn't guaranteed. Just something to keep in mind as you move forward.

Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.