Tilt window latch

A home owner from St James, NY 11780 says:
How to remove and replace window latch.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

What you're showing here is the thumb actuator for an internal tilt latch. These should just pop on and off, so you should be able to remove it by hand. If it's really on there you could try prying it off with a screwdriver.

Once that's off, you will need to remove the top cap of the sash; this should be a long, thin vinyl cover that runs the entire length of the sash. That will expose the internal latch body and allow you to remove it.

Thanks for the information.I don't think the thumb actuator I have is available, can I replace it with a different unit.

Thanks again
Sheldon
Profile picture of Tom

In that case you may want to consider installing a surface-mount tilt latch. We have a video guide on how you can do exactly that. It's a fairly straight forward project that should be fully possible on your particular window, but the video will alloy you to verify.

You can see our full selection of surface mount tilt latches here. Your main goal should be finding something that is not only skinny enough to fit on your sash width, but whose holes will not interfere with the hole leftover from your original actuator.

My sash is one and a half inch wide. Can I use 26228 and 26229 tilt latch? If so I would like to purchase them.
Profile picture of Tom

The 26-228 and 26-229 are only 1-3/8" wide, so they should fit perfectly fine on your 1-1/2" wide sash. The only thing you have to check now is whether or not the back hole will overlap with the holes that are already on your sash. I recommend using a pencil to mark where you would drill your new holes, using our dimensions as a reference. As long as the holes don't interfere then you should be good to go!

All orders can be placed directly from our site at your convenience.

Alternate image for 26-229
Alternate image for 26-229

Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.