Top sash guide

A quick learner from Florida says:
Look closely. If you cannot see the point protruding from the lower hole, I will
send a better photo
I hope you can tell me how to remove this part. Perhaps the installation instructions on the replacement could give a clue?
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, we can certainly identify your part. Take a look at our 18-179 top sash guide. Compare it to what you have now and let us know what you think. You can watch the video below for installation help. Good luck with the repair!

A quick learner from Florida says:
I asked you how how remove the sash guide I have, you have not answered the question. It is held in place with 2 fasteners, not just one screw as in the video.
The photo 0539 show a mangled guide after trying to remove it from the second fastener. 0542 shows the guide with the screw taken out and the loser fastener still intact.
Please take a closer look at this and let me know what you think--should I drill out the fastener on the bottom?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry I missed that! The top hole for for this top sash guide is screwed in, but the bottom looks like its for an aligner pin sticking out from the sash frame. To remove the broken top sash guide, you first need to remove the top screw, then slide a flat head screwdriver under the guide at the bottom to force the clip off from the sash pin.

A quick learner from Bradenton, FL says:
I have the exact same situation. Appears that the lower fastener is screwed in from inside of frame. Did anyone figure out what to do, or should I mangle it out and force new part in over screw?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That is unfortunate. I'm not sure what the manufacturer was thinking, installing this top sash guide this way. I guess they thought that when it breaks, you could just buy a whole new window for hundreds of dollars instead of this tiny little piece.

Either way, I'm not sure what the solution would be. I highly recommend contacting a local contractor familiar with windows in your area. They may know what to do.

A quick learner from Bradenton, FL says:
Quick update: yes, it is fastened by a screw coming from the inside (confirmed by taking out stops). No worries, though - I was able to pry off the old part easily. To install the new part (18-179), I slightly enlarged the hole with a 5/32" bit an tapped it over the screw. Whole job took about 2 min. after assembling the tools. Works great and saved me about $300! Thanks, SWISCO.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for the confirmation! I'm so glad you got it to work. Please let us know if we can be of any help to you in the future.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.