Top sash guides

A handy person from Australia says:
I need to replace some channel sash balances which I have identified as 28 inch series 385 [Markings on existing balances 2840]. The top sash guides also need replacing but I am having trouble identifying the correct replacement items. The existing ones are built into the aluminium section of the sash, and as such can only be removed by dismantling the sash. Have I got this correct or am I missing something? Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That's strange. Could you remove the sash and take a few pictures of the top sash guides while still installed? That will at least get us started.

You may also want to double check the length of your balance. With a stamp like 2840, the metal channel should be 29" long.
A handy person from Australia says:
Hi again. Thanks for the last information. I have included some images of the top sash guide. I am assuming they stop the balance from protruding above the sash when the window is opened. We don't use this system in Australia and all my contacts aren't any help. The supplier who manufactured and installed the windows are no longer in business.
Thanks again.
User submitted photos of a tilt latch.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We don't have your type of top sash guide. Since yours is held in by the frame I'm hesitant to recommend one of our screw-on top sash guides. From your photo, it looks like it is 5/8" wide. I came up with a universal type of top sash guide, our 18-008, that is screwed on. I don't know your top sash guide projection or the depth of your sash, but 18-008 goes out 9/16". The projection should be flush with the frame to engage the balance. That said, I cannot guarantee it will work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)