Traco TR-1200 sliding glass door track cover

A home owner from Virginia (VA) says:

I have a Traco TR-1200 Power 2 series; 2 part sliding door which was purchased in 2005. I was told that I need a track cover to replace the damaged track (see photos). The first photo shows the door which is fully opened with the portion of track which is damaged. The second photo where the sliding door is closed shows the stationary door with no apparent damage to the track. Can I replace

the bad section with a metal cap which is 6ft long or less? What part number do you recommend for this door? Is it recommended to apply some adhesive material to the inside length of the cap prior to installation? If so what adhesive material do you recommend? The door is open (and closed) at least 5 times a day in good weather. Can you give me a rough life expectancy on how well this cap will last assuming that it is installed according to your advice?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us! We have two options for you: replacing the track cover with our 80-103, or replacing the whole track with our 80-106. As for installation, we have two handy videos for each option that I recommend. They should cover just about everything, but if you have any questions let me know.

A home owner from Virginia (VA) says:
I had a handyman repair the track on the Traco door with the part 80-102. I ordered this 6 foot track because the shipping charges were significantly less expensive than charges associated with the 8 foot track. The repair involved three sections of track. The 6 foot track was cut into two sections and combined with a third section which contained a portion of the old track which was not damaged. Because of the three sections rather than one, it was not necessary to remove either door to install the replacement track sections. (note - to install a single 8 foot track would have required that both doors be removed so the 8 foot track would not be bent). It was necessary, however to squeeze the track sections from end to end with pliers insure that the track sections did not come loose as the sliding door was opened and closed. The fix is shown below. The door rollers are over 13 years old and did not need replacement. My labor cost for the job was a very reasonable $50. Thanks Swisco!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Wow, what a fix! That's some serious ingenuity. Congrats to you and your handyman on making it work. We welcome you back any time you need parts.

A professional from CA says:
That is super reasonable.
I hope you don't have issues with the track separating, lifting or catching on the joints.
How to install a sliding glass door track cover
How to install a sliding glass door track cover
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Track
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Track
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.