Traco balances

A home owner from Richmond VA says:

I have a twenty year old Traco replacement window with both balances broken. I've attached pictures of the balances that I can see without removing the balance covers. Would you have the part(s) to replace the existing balances and give me an idea of how to do that. Thomas 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0500.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0501.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0502.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0503.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Thomas.

We can certainly help but we would need to see a photo of an undamaged pivot shoe removed from the window track to determine a match. I recommend watching the videos I've related for you on this page. One will show you how to remove your hardware by making your own cut-outs in the window track and the other will demonstrate how to replace a coil balance assembly. 

A home owner from VA says:
Before I start cutting I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. I removed the balance cover and unscrewed the part that is now lying on top of what I guess is the pivot shoe at the bottom of the channel. I don't have a sash stop at the top of the channel so there won't be anything to cover my cut. Does that matter? Is the white part with the circular blue insert at the very bottom the pivot shoe? Will I be replacing both of these parts? It looks like the coil broke in two.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0506.JPG
Profile picture of Emily

No, that won't matter. The part with the blue cam in this new photo would be your pivot shoe. Based on what I see here, I recommend our 15-087 which is used with the Series 180 coil springs. Review the specifications and see what you think. With this type of assembly, you only need to replace what's broken so you can re-use the pivot shoe if it's in working condition. 

To determine what spring weight you'll need, check the band on your old spring for a code. If there isn't one, you will need to divide the sash weight by the total number of springs in the window.

A home owner from VA says:
I was able to remove the pivot shoe, coil, and one other metal piece which was attached to the side of the channel with a screw. It held one end of the metal coil. I didn't see a code on the spring (coil). The sash weighed 11 lbs on my bathroom scale. I have two metal coils (springs), one on each side of the window. I also found some literature that came with the windows when they were installed in 2002.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0508.JPG
Profile picture of Emily

With an 11-pound sash, you have two options. You could use (1) S180-5 5-pound spring on each side of the window which would total 10 pounds of overall support, or you can use (1) S180-6 6-pound spring on each side of the window which would total 12 pounds of overall support. Either of these setups will work for you as long as the coil weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight. The decision is ultimately yours! 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.