Tribeca Latch

A home owner from MA says:
My latch broke -- the internal part that secures the locking mechanism. From what I saw in the video, I only need the latch part. However, the description says "Keep in mind that the reason why these thumb locks normally break is because the internal mortise needs to be replaced as well, not through any fault of the thumb latch itself." Can you explain further? Not sure what the mortise is. Don't want to order an item I don't need - but don't want to NOT have all the parts I DO need. See photo Half the turning mechanism broke - believe I only need latch assembly. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named latch.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The mortise is the internal mechanism that the latch interacts with. When you turn the lever, a hook protrudes from the door; that hook is part of the mortise. You need to make sure your mortise is in working condition before you buy anything to be 100% sure. This is easily done by using a screwdriver to throw it manually. If the hook comes out okay, then there's no issue. If it hangs up, though, then you have a problem. 

Your mortise is very likely a match for our 82-037.

VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.