Trouble Installing Key Lock

A home owner from MD says:

I ordered new mortise, key lock and thumb latch. Cut down the key lock to the exact same length as the old one but I've lost the thumb latch tail, just assumed it was full length. Now I have it all installed but the thumb latch tail looks like it should only be 3/4" as there is too much overlap. I assume the key lock tail and thumb latch tail should meet in the middle and be exactly the same length? Best way to cut it if that's what I need to do?

Thank you!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8D7FCA6F-1B7B-4D70-9BC7-A0261290727A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2A7E3A11-0983-4D0B-AAA6-DBF3113DAC92.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I personally find the best way to cut the tail was to secure it in a vise and cut it to the length you need using a hack saw. The trick to cut it a little at a time so that you don't accidentally cut it too short. It takes longer and it's a little more of a hassle, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The last thing you want to do is cut too much and ruin the piece.

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.