Trouble with Storm Door Handle

A quick learner from Harrisburg, PA says:
The interior door handle will not release the portion of the hardware that protrudes then catches the door frame receiver. When pushing the handle on the inside and thumb push on the outside, nothing happens...the "protruder" does not move. I will assume a spring type device located within the interior hardware slipped or broke. The catch will move when you activate the locking mechanism located on the bottom of the interior handle. In very basic words, when you push the outside button or inside handle, nothing happens.
The holes on the exterior of the door are 8 1/4 inches apart (eight and one-quarter). I was unable to locate replacement handles that have this distance between the top and bottom screw holes at Home Depot or Lowes. I did not see any markings on the hardware on storm door.

The first picture shows the inside handle. Second picture shows the "protruder" that I extended from the door handle using the underneath locking trigger. The third picture shows the outside handle.

Thank you
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

It sounds like the inside spindle the activates the lock mechanism isn't lining up with the inside handle. It might have come askew or was not correctly installed to begin with. I would try uninstalling it and reinstalling it to see if that helps. 

Another problem could be that the spindle simply broke. Unfortunately, it is no longer available by itself. We are only able to replace the complete lockset with our 40-057. I am sorry we cannot offer the spindle by itself.

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.