Troubleshooting

A quick learner from U.S.A. says:
I am trying to create a keyed entry so it can be unlocked and accessed from the outside.

I ordered and installed 82-317, however it can now only be operated by the outside key, that key can only be removed when in the locked position, and so once we remove the key the thumb-lock inside is stuck in the locked position, and the persons inside are locked in.

I only purchased the two inside and outside parts on top, not the inside "gear system".
I wonder if the existing inside part of the door should also have been replaced?
Again it works fine with the outside key, but the inside thumb-lock cannot unlock it once locked by key

I also wonder if I need the left one and not the right one
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named andersen lock.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named andersen lock 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named andersen lock 2.jpg
A home owner from U.S.A. says:
I'm the same homeowner, the original poster.
I purchased the 82-317 based on recommendations in another thread with a door opening the same as mine, but now wonder if I need the 82-316 based on how my sliding glass door opens?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The 82-317 and 82-316 are definitely the right style locks for your door, so you're on the right track. It sounds like the one you bought was the wrong side, as you suggested. Note that "Left" and "Right" in this case is determined from the outside looking in and judged by the operating panel; that is, the door that you actually open and close. 

Looking at your photos, it looks like your operating panel is on the left side, judging from the outside. That means you want the 82-316.

Thank you Tom.
Please also respond whether I should also buy from you the interior mechanism or if your two outside parts should operate the existing one without fail.
Thanks for letting me know ASAP, Leen
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your current thumb latch should work perfectly fine with the new hardware. I don't think that was the explanation for the issue you're facing.

Thank you for getting back to me.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.