"Truth" Brand Window Crank

A home owner from Seattle says:

Good Afternoon -

When you turn the handle to close the window it feels like something is "stripped." It will not close the last four inches unless we push it from the exterior. This "stripped" feeling comes from the handle crank.

Thank you!

Sarah

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7310.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7311.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7312.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Sarah. It definitely sounds like you need new operators. We can help, but there are a couple different types that might replace yours. In order to narrow it down, I need you to disconnect the arm from the track and show us what the end of that arm looks like. Thanks!

Thanks for your response, Tom. I'm attaching a few photos. I hope this is what you need - let me know if these don't suffice. Sarah
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7328.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7331.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7330.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello again. That is unfortunately not it. The arm you're focusing on in these photos is the hinge. From your original post, it sounded to me like your operator gears were stripped out. The operator is the mechanism above the hinge. It has two arms: one hinged arm that snaps onto a bracket at the bottom corner of the window sash and another long, straight arm that slides along a track. I need you to remove that long straight arm from the track so that I can see what's at the end of it.

Well Tom. Here's hoping this works. In order to get the long straight arm off the track we'd have to unscrew the track from the window. I do see (and maybe you'll note) a number on the long arm. It reads 41012. I hope these photos suffice. BUT - I will take the track off the window if need be.

We have two windows with this issue. - I don't know if it makes a difference but they mirror one another - one crank is on hte left and the other right.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Sarah

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7333.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7336.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7334.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7335.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7338.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! These pictures are perfect. I can clearly see the kind of slide this operator uses. I recommend our 39-253RB. The cover and handle are sold separately under our 39-452.

Your black slide looks to be in good condition so you can reuse that. It is our 39-529. These just snap on and off the rivet at the end of the arm.

Oh, Thank you so much, Tom!
I will get the order placed. I have two more questions. Does it matter that our windows open opposite one another in terms of ordering these parts? There are these little plastic black "buttons" that push into the hinge. We find ours are loose and we've lost one. Is there a way to order extras of those?
Thanks so much,
Sarah
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Sarah. That would matter if you were interested in buying operators for both sides. The opposite-side partner for the part I recommended is the 39-253LB, as well as the 39-451 handle/cover combo (sold separately).

I'm not sure what these buttons might be, even looking at your above photos. I can at least tell you with confidence that repair pieces for hinge assemblies are not something manufacturers like to provide separately. In my experience once something breaks off of a hinge, you need to replace the hinge entirely.

We don't have an exact match for yours but I think you can use something like our 36-048 as long as you replace the top and bottom at the same time. The video below will clarify.

Thanks so much. I've placed the order and think we're all set. -- the plastic piece we were looking for is really more like a pop in screw than anything. It's not so much broken off. I found an adequate replacement at our local hardware store. I appreciate your help. Take good care. Sarah
A quick learner from Staten Island NY says:
The locking handle broke
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230607_183218.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230607_183218.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

We sell a few different locks that may replace this, but it will depend on the size of the fork as it projects from the housing. For now, you can browse through our full selection of hardware here to consider our various sizes.

How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.