Truth Hardware Sash Lock Replacement

A handy person from Midland, MI says:
I have a number of sash locks to replace on casement windows. The existing locks clearly have a left or right orientation and different part numbers (31300G and 31300H). Do you have these parts available in white? Thanks! -Dave
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. To start, see our 38-075 Truth Hardware Low Profile Sash Lock or our 38-170 Casement Lock w/ 1/2" post. These locks are very similar, but the 38-170 has a longer post protruding through the rear of the latch than the 38-075. Compare with your old parts and let us know if either might work for you. Both of these locks are nonhanded, meaning they can be used for both left and right orientations. If you need to replace your window keeper, see our 38-089. Let us know what you think.

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure - if I install the non-handed 38-075 on the right side of the frame or the left side of the frame, in either case it will operate in the locked position with the lever down? I don't want two opposing locks in the center post to be locked in opposite directions.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It can work that way, yes, but it depends on the position of the keeper. Look at the photos below to get an idea of what I mean.

Alternate view of 38-075
Alternate view of 38-075
Diagram of the installation of the 38-075 sash lock
Diagram of the installation of the 38-075 sash lock
Basically, the lever in the first photo has to engage with the keeper position in the second photo in order to lock. There's a good chance your existing keepers are already in the appropriate position and the 38-075 will install as-is. If they weren't, then you'd have lopsided locks right now.
However if your keepers aren't in the right position then you can always adjust their position so that the lock levers face the same direction.
Got it, thanks. I understand that I will need to adjust the keeper probably on just one side. That's certainly manageable. The two locks I'm replacing are absolutely unique and different parts specific to right or left hand operation. The attached photo shows this -these are parts installed on a window following remodeling done in 2014. The contractor was able to locate identical replacement parts (shown in the photo) but it appears I'll just have to use a slightly different part and make it work. I have quite a few windows to be done so was hoping for the quicker solution. -Dave
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see. That's pretty funny, I've never seen this style lock designed this way before. Truth specifically markets the 38-075 as neutral handed. They usually have locks like the 38-097 and 38-098 for specific left/right applications. I wonder if you have an older version? Either way, I think adjusting the keeper could get ours to work. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for your help, Tom. I ordered the parts to do two windows as a trial, and if it all works out ok I'll be back to get the parts for the remainder of the windows. -Dave
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, glad to hear it, Dave! Please let us know how it works out or if you have any other questions.

How to Replace a Casement Window Lock & Keeper
How to Replace a Casement Window Lock & Keeper
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.