Unique 27D

A home owner from Florida says:
The stamp on my balance is 08-06-04 Unique Balance 27D but the measurement from top to bottom of metal channel piece is 28".
So am I ordering 27D or do I really need 28D?
I have already replaced one balance that I ordered from a local window store. That balance is also stamped 27D and actually measures 27.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for your question. If your balance (from metal to metal - not including tips) is 28" you would order the 28" balance with a 28D option. The best way to know which option to choose is to weigh your sash. Once you get that number, find it on the chart on the balance's product page and choose the option it corresponds with. Let us know if you need further help.
A quick learner from Florida says:
I am adding photos just so you understand my confusion on the length of the balance vs the stamp number.
Based on the instructions on your website I would order 28D. I have not removed the sash to weigh yet. Where on the website would I find something corresponding to weight and what I need to order?
Does the weight and the stamp correspond to the strength of the spring needed?
Thought I was a quick learner but feeling my window parts 101 class is heading to more sessions. Thanks for your assistance.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Moving onto another window that needs a new balance. Measures 22" and is stamped 21/19/30 07/21/04 Unique Balance 21F.
I am not seeing "F" as an option on the order form. Is it possible your "E" will be in the weight range? Or am I missing someone online where I should be able to find an "F" as an option?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Unique balance company went out of business, so the length and numbers stamped will be different. You show a 28" balance channel length with a spring weight stamped 27D. For me to further help you, I need to see the clip at the end of the cord to determine what series you have. Then I will be able to set you up with the correct spring weight.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Can you please send us photos of both ends of your 22" balance so we can determine which series you need?
Donna and Paul

More photos attached. I am pretty certain I have Series 770 Channel design based on your website.

I can certainly understand why Unique went out of business! Side note is that every single balance that is now broken is from the right side of my windows. Not that I'm complaining that both sides are not an issue but how strange is that?

I am looking at 10 balances that I know are broken right now and I have not actually inspected all my windows yet. Almost don't want to look!

Curious to know if the balances that I'm going to be ordering if indeed I do have the Series 770 in various sizes will come unfinished like the ones I currently have or will they be white like the ones in your video on your website?

Again, appreciate the hand holding from you all.

Cyndi
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
With a 28"channel, you would order S770-28 with a spring weight option of 28D. The balance channel will be white. Why the right side is breaking is odd, but it could be caused by most people being right handed and are pulling up and down stronger on the right side or the sun and the UV rays are hitting that side of the window. When replacing the balances, replace both sides with the new ones and save the old to be used with another old window balance.
Donna
Can you advise me on what I need to do with the 21F? We now know that we have the 770 series. Question is your 22's only come in E not F from what I see online.

Thanks
Cyndi
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sorry for the confusion! I was hoping we could provide the 21F stamp as a standard balance, but it seems it will need to be custom made. Can you just tell me how many you need? Once we know that I can email you a custom order link and price quote. You can use this to place your order. Think of it as a special store page that only you can see.
Hi Tom

Just to clarify I weighed the window yesterday and it appears it is off your chart. It comes in at 32 lb so F must be correct.
I would order 3 Series 770 stamped 21F balances. Not sure if you have been following this thread but all the balances I have measure one inch longer than what is stamped. So are you making a balance that measures 21 or 22 inches?
Thanks much
Cyndi
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Oh, I see. So these balances are 22" long, despite the 21F stamp. In that case, I think a custom S770-22 with a 22G stamp would be best for your sash weight. Two of these balances can carry a sash weight of 30 through 34 pounds. I'll email you a custom order link for 3 of these immediately.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.