Use of Yale stop

A quick learner from Pompano Beach says:
Hello,
I have replaced some of my sash balances, and all is working well. I notice that if I push the window up too far, past the Yale stop, the sash balances become disengaged when I pull the window down again. Are these stops intended to prevent the window going up too far?

Thank you,
Derek
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Derek. Yes, sash stops are meant to prevent the window from going up too far. In your situation the 16-028 would disengage the balance because the stop must be missing. I'm afraid we only sell a couple sash stops, but there are many, many different kinds all over the country. I can't be sure of what you have. You may want to check with the original window manufacturer. Alternatively, if you have windows with two sash stops, you could distribute them around the windows that don't have any. You really only need one sash stop per sash.
A quick learner from Pompano Beach says:
Thank you for your info. There are no stops on any of the windows. Do I bend the tongues of the yale stops 16-028 inwards after installation of the sliding window such that they bear on the plastic caps in each upper corner of the sliding window, preventing further upward motion?
I have also repaired some of these same windows for a friend, but two of the windows are jammed shut. The sash balances are loose. I have tried levering and tapping with a block of wood from the inside, but am unable to get at the outside as they are on the third floor. Any ideas? Derek
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
If you have some windows with two stops, then you can take one out and install it in a window with no stops. You really only need one stop per window. As for bending the Yale stop, you could remove it and just install it when you need to remove the sash. Finally, concerning the stuck window, you might just have to force it open, though that might damage the balances in the process. There's no real science to this, you just have to be careful not to damage the window frame or glass. If you want, you can send us a photo showing the problem you're having.
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.