Vinyl Window No Markings

A handy person from Aberdeen, NJ says:
The windows are approximately 59" x 36" double paned builder-grade vinyl windows. There are two windows not staying up. One of the windows does not appear to have the piece shown with the tape measure above at all. Are the window steel tabs suppose to go into the locking /turning mechanism of the plastic part of the coil or the square slot above the locking/turning mechanism.

Most of the videos I have seen show a slot leading to those coil so they can be dropped in from above. Mine have no such slots so the steel tabs of the window seem to need to be inserted laterally which seems impossible?

If you need anything more to determine my parts let me know. Thanks for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210411_155055468.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210411_155118298Two.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210411_155135387Three.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210411_155933393.NIGHTFour.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210411_155950172.NIGHTFive.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The hardware you're showing me is called a coil balance system. Coil balances are precisely calibrated spring mechanisms that go on either side of the window and keep the sash up when you raise it. They produce a constant force that's always counterbalanced by the weight of the sash, hence their name: "balance."

Yours in particular is an older style that isn't made anymore, but we can still help. Assuming you only needed the coil spring itself, you can use our Series 190. You'll note that there are many options for this coil so you'll need the stamp printed off the old one to confirm the best match.

As for installation, you actually do have a slot in your track. I can see it in your fourth and fifth photos. It's not a lot of clearance but it should suffice. 

The spring is stamped 832. However, the plastic part that the coil is attached to is missing on one side. My guess is someone tried to repair the window and took the part out and never replaced it. Are there any plastic housings that would fit my window?
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, are you talking about the clip/cover you show in your last two photos? That's our 15-186. You'll also want a new 15-182 bushing to help hold the spring to the clip.

You asked that check my old coil for a number. What does the 832 stamp on my old coli spring translate to in your Series 190 coils?
Profile picture of Tom

Sorry for overlooking that detail. You can use the S190-840 in that case. That should work perfectly well.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.