WEather strip replacement

A home owner from Sistersville, WV says:
Hi, My name is Lou, my wife and I live in Sistersville, WV where we purchased our home in 2010. The back side of our house has some old aluminum storm windows that the insulating stripping is gone. This weather stripping sits in a groove in the aluminum window frame. I'm able to put a 3/32 drill bit in the groove and it fits loosely side to side and sits slightly above the groove. Do you have something I can replace this with? the old insulating material its pretty well dry rotted. I've included a photo of the window.
User submitted a photo of weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Most storm window companies use either our 58-001 or 58-002 wool pile weatherstripping. Check them out and compare their dimensions to your own sample to see which is a better fit.
A home owner from Vestal, ny says:
I have the same type of aluminum storm windows as the person in the thread. My question is ... How do you install the weatherstrip? Do I need to take the frame apart, and if so how do you do that, it's not obvious. Or is there some other trick? It's a 3/16 wide base, and I can use either your 58-001 or 58-002. I currently have the 3/16 x 5/32. I can't seem to squeeze the pile into the channel because they are not totally open at one end. there are metal angles at the corners that appear to holding the frame together. Thanks for any help.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Usually, you can just slide the weatherseal into the opening of the groove. However in some cases, like the frame in the picture above, the groove is closed at the corners. You could consider taking the frame apart, but it might be easier to just try to work the wool pile in with a putty knife. That is what I've done in the past.
How to replace stamped window corner keys.
How to replace stamped window corner keys.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.