WINDOW BULB INSULATION

A quick learner from Brandon, Mississppi says:

HELP!

What I ordered was 10 packs of 58-171 but the bulb seems to smaller as well as the T. I have only used one pack.

Thank You,

Jimmy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E3DF3ED7-BA03-4C77-9A51-89C3FB876A11.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C45C5FA6-8CC5-48F6-B643-0D99DFBD4124.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 12BA4D0B-15EF-44DF-B975-91158D0CB820.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 58A2BD89-B6B6-420A-95D6-C88A46D0AE00.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 949EBDA3-3747-4DC9-91FF-C855C12DA121.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Jimmy. Thanks for reaching out to us. Am I right to assume that your original seal is the one with the 3/8" strip? If so, that's pretty huge. We unfortunately don't carry anything in that size. Can you confirm that dimension for me?

You are correct, it is more like 1/4" or maybe 9/32".
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for confirming. The 58-171 T slot is actually between those two sizes at .270 (1/4" is .250 and 9/32" is .281). It does seem like this might be the best strip for the job. Was it not able to install in the window at all?

It looks good installed but seems not as tight as the old insulation. Maybe one of the other dimensions is a little different. I sent in a sample of the old by UPS but the lady said the don't look at them. It would really have been helpful if they would have but I understand.

Jimmy
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for the additional information. I'm happy to look at any samples you send in, but I don't think that would change the situation as it is right now. From everything we've talked about so far, it sounds like you have an older type of bubble seal whose T slot size was a little on the large size at around 9/32". We unfortunately just don't have anything in that size. The 58-171 that you purchased is the absolute best option we have, even if it is a little smaller. 

I've never seen a type of weatherstripping like yours with a 9/32" base, which makes me think yours is either very old or maybe just unique to the window. Either way, it is not a size that we can supply. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.