Wartian Storm Door Locks

A handy person from Utah says:

Does Wartian Lock company still produce storm door lock sets? I have three storm doors, two of which have the original door locks manufactured by Wartian. Having looked online for similar parts and/or replacements, they are obviously very old. Also I have been trying to determine the manufacturer of the doors, which I now assume to be sears given sears used Wartian locks on their doors.

Do you know where I might find parts for these locks and possible a complete set for a left side outward swinging door?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1FB917F5-575E-47B0-8FE7-ED67DEEAF8A6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3940C187-1625-4ABB-AB7E-9E69BA2D4544.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CD34419D-3D76-453F-87AA-D7ED3C3B5FEB.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to say that I'm not familiar with the handle set you show here, so I'm not sure who made it. I can at least say that it does look very old and probably hasn't been made in years. 

Fortunately, storm door handles like this aren't super complicated. There's probably a modern substitute that will work just as well. I recommend looking at our 40-034K to start out. Carefully compare the dimensions we show on its store page to your own and let me know how they compare.

A home owner from Ellsworth Wisconsin says:

I can tell you at a glance the replacement you suggested might work but the measurement of the outside pull is wrong. I have one of these locks on my storm door. 

First, the top of the inside latch holds the top of the outside pull handle. The 1 3/4" measurement for the top two screws is correct, but like mine the bottom of the outside pull is going to be 7" so while it might be okay if a person wants to drill a new hole to match up and figure a way to close the old holes. 

I am confident in saying that is 7" because I have come across this lock on many aluminum framed storm doors in this area. The storm door on my own home is so unique I wouldn't dream of replacing it, and the outside pull handle is clear round lucite material. The spring on the inside latch is the weak point. Getting a new spring inside would be a project for someone else as the pins holding it together would be ruined taking it apart, they are a rivet style on one end and little round ball on the other. 

Personally I am going to just try your inside latch and hope the push rod works with my outside pull.

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.