Weather stripping not fitting in Certainteed Window

A home owner from USA says:

Hello,

I have a Certainteed window that needs its bottom weatherstripping replaced. I placed an orderfor your 5' Dual-durometer Weatherstrip (58-164-5) because the dimensions matched. The product seemed like a good fit (see attached photo) but unfortunately I think the T is too rigid. The original weatherstripping is rubbery and can easily be pressed into the groove.

I took the window off and tried to slide the weatherstripping in, but I couldn't get more than a few inches due to the friction. When I took the weatherstripping back out, the T had deformed into a Y. I tried getting half of the T in, and pressing the other half in with a putty knife, but that didn't work either. I think the T is just too wide for the groove.

Do you have any other ideas? I'm having trouble finding a T slot weatherstripping replacement for this window. The original weatherstripping is failing (the edges have fallen off) and water is getting inside.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2286.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Other Certainteed customers have had success in using our 58-183 bubble weather stripping to replace the original, however I've admittedly never tried it myself. I recommend ordering a sample of it from this page to confirm before you commit to a purchase.

A home owner from USA says:
The 58-183 sample was able to slide in the groove without any issues. Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Great news! Thanks for confirming. If you ever needed anything else, feel free to ask.

A home owner from CT says:
This product worked perfectly in my certainteed windows. Thank you very much. I didn't think I would ever find anything to match the old seal.
A quick learner from Illinois says:
I just rec'd 58-183 for my 19 Certainteed windows. The product seems like a perfect replacement. However, we are having an extremely dufficult time getting it to slide in place. It will slide for about a foot & then stop. We tried lubricating track w/dish soap to help but no luck. The window track is in perfect shape. Do you have any suggestions?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm honestly not sure why that might be happening. The only explanation I can think of is that there is some obstruction in the track that would prevent it from going in all the way. This is the case in every instance I can think of where the seal suddenly stops while sliding in.

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.