What are "options" when ordering channel balances?

A quick learner from New York says:
I am looking to replace channel balances that are stamped 1740 and 2740. When I try to order them from your site I am prompted to select options that, for the 1740 offer 1610-1640 and for the 2740 offer 2610-2640, respectively. I see no description of these options. Please assist me. Thank you.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The different options are for different balance strengths. You can figure this out by looking for the existing stamp on your balance, or remove the sash from your window and report back with the weight in pounds.

Also note, the stamp options do not identify the balance series.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

To determine what series balance you need, match balance top and shoe the product pictures of each balance series on SWISCO. If you need help identifying the correct balance, send us pictures of your balance.

Weighing your window sash is easy. Simply remove the sash from the window and then place the sash on a bathroom scale. Most of the time you will be able to find a stamp on the channel balance. If you can find the stamp you will not need to weigh your window sash.

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the 1610 would have a lower strength than 1640. I would need the balance series to give you the suggested weight ranges for a stamp option. the 16 portion of the stamp number normally translates to the length, could be 17" in length or possibly 16" depending on the balance series.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
First, remove the window sash and place it on a scale.
Next, choose the appropriate stamp option
Given the information that you currently have Series 390 balances with stamp option 2740 tells me it is 28" in length (excluding fittings)
S390-28
Stamp option 2710 will carry a window sash weight range of 5 through 9 pounds
Stamp option 2720 will carry a window sash weight range of 9 through 13 pounds
Stamp option 2730 will carry a window sash weight range of 13 through 19 pounds
Stamp option 2740 will carry a window sash weight range of 19 through 26 pounds

You also ask for weight ranges for 2610-2640, this would be for a 27" balance.
S390-27
Stamp option 2610 will carry a window sash weight range of 5 through 9 pounds
Stamp option 2620 will carry a window sash weight range of 9 through 13 pounds
Stamp option 2630 will carry a window sash weight range of 13 through 19 pounds
Stamp option 2640 will carry a window sash weight range of 19 through 26 pounds

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Last time I ordered replacement channels from series 531 for my vinyl replacement insulated glass sashes. I don't remember what other options I may have chosen. Some of the windows, however, do not stay closed unless locked - is that because the sash is not heavy enough to hold down the spring? I can't weigh them but could supply the measurements if that would determine which option in the 1610-1640 range. Is the difference in the strength of the spring? The sashes are 30" high and approx. 35" wide. Can you give a recommendation? Should I be ordering Series 390? Thank you
Is the strength of the balance determined by the spring tension? Is 1610 less tension than 1640?
Series 390. Please help with the options 2610-2640. How do I choose which one? I want to place my order.
for series 390, replacing a channel stamped 2740, with a window that does not stay closed on it's own - what would I choose between 2610-2640. If I choose a lower strength will it make the window harder to open? Is there a happy medium somewhere? (I also have a 1740 window - but have more of the larger ones)
great. thank you
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.