Which coil do i get?

A handy person from san francisco says:
Greetings,

I hope all is going well with you all.

I believe this is the Series 190 Coil Balance but which one of those I have no idea how to figure that out. haha

If I can get the right part I'm sure I can fix our window but I'm not sure which part and would love to get help. If there are other measurements or pictures you need let me know and I'll try and accommodate.

Thanks again,

Mikey
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210420_103459.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210319_131149.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210319_131137.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210319_131114.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Mikey. Yes, these do look like Series 190 Coil Balances, which connect with the 15-180 Pivot Shoe. To know what spring weights you need, please give me the exact weight of the window sash. I can then work out what weights you require.

A handy person from san francisco says:
The window sash is 40 lbs. Sorry that took so long.

Thanks Again!
Mikey
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks, Mikey. That's actually pretty huge for this kind of window. The absolute strongest spring we can sell for this is our S190-940, which only carries 9 pounds per spring. Since you can only have two per side at the absolute maximum, that's only 36 pounds of support, which is too weak.

You may want to double check the weight. If it is exactly 40 pounds, then I'm afraid we cannot offer you a spring that can support its weight.

A handy person from San Francisco says:
Awesome thanks! That should work. There are 3 springs per side so if it's 9x6 we will hopefully be covered?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This type of balance is not designed to use two springs. There are only two screw holes on the shoe for them to install, and the clip (15-181) can only hold two. There wold be nowhere for a third spring to go.

If your balance assembly does have three springs per side then someone messed up somewhere. It's possible the original installers just kind of shoved whatever they had on hand in the window and hoped it would work. It happens all the time, to my frustration. That also doesn't change the fact that this is not how these balances are supposed to work. It's ultimately up to you but I would not advise using three springs per side.

A handy person from SF says:
You know what you're totally right. There are only 3 because one broke into 2.. haha
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.