White vinyl double hung windows

A home owner from USA says:

Hello

We have white vinyl double hung windows and need to replace some broken coiled constant force sprng balances. Please help us to identify which part number we need to order from your company. Also do u have any retail store in Jersey city or new York city OR is it only online store ?

We would greatly appreciate your kind response.

Our windows spring balance looks similar to the ones shown in the pictures

Thank you

Mohammad

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 10136.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SAM_1331-600x600.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Mohammad. This looks like our 15-087 Pivot Shoe. This is compatible with our Series 180 Coil Balances. Look for a stamp code on the coil spring; this will indicate the spring weight you need. If there is none, or you are uncertain, weigh your window sash. Give us that exact weight, and we'll work out what you need. We are only an online retail store. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks so much Bob for your kind response . Yes I will double check the numbers on the coiled springs before ordering it.
Thanks
Mohammad
Profile picture of Bob

Sounds great. Let us know if we can be of any more help to you.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We are happy to help. So if one of your coil springs has a "4" stamped on it, then you can go with the S180-4 and for the other spring marked with "7", you can go with the S180-7. Take a look at both parts and see what you think. 

Bob
Hi
So I finally had a chance to check the constant force coiled springs for our windows. The bedroom window spring has " 7" etched on it - so I think it must be indicating 7 lbs.
Now the bathroom windows spring has etched mark " 4 Z " so i am guessing it means 4 lbs. I also tried to weigh the bathroom window and it is more or less 7.3-7.5 lbs ( vinyl double hung window with 2 panes of glasses).
So in short I m thinking of ordering 7 lbs springs for large windows ( bedrooms and livings rooms etc) and 4 lbs for the smaller bathroom windows.
Would greatly appreciate your advice
Thank you
Mohammad
Thanks. So much Paul
Yes that's seems right . Will order 7 lbs and 4 lbs springs . For our windows

one more question is there any way to determine the approximate weight of a double hung white vinyl window WITHOUT taking them out of the frame ??

Like any special mathematical formula ??

(I already the weight of the bedroom & bathroom windows ( by looking at the broken spring BUT some windows in the kitchen and living /dinning room are of different sizes some are bigger than the bedroom windows ( #7 spring) and some bigger than the bathroom windows ( 4 lbs ( but smaller than bedroom windows ( # 7 lbs)

Would greatly appreciate your kind help because I want to order extra coiled springs for all the windows

Mohammad

Profile picture of Bob

Hi Mohammad. Unfortunately the only reliable way to know the weight of the window sash is to remove each one and weigh it on a bathroom scale. You can also place a scale on the window sill and slowly roller the sash onto the scale; this isn't as ideal but it's still better than nothing so long as you are precise as possible. From there, we can help determine the coil spring weights you need.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.