Window

A quick learner from USA says:
Good afternoon,

I spoke with someone last week about my window troubles and looking for some help.
Haven't been able to open the window for years and it's time to fix it. I'm very handy around the house and will fix them myself if able. Thanks in advance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named just a picture of the window.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named lower attach.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named upper hardware.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named upper.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named what i see with window tilted in.JPG
A handy person from USA says:
I've added another pic with the length of the side hardware, I'll call them springs? Also the overall height of the window is approx 65.5" and 46" for width. The lower moveable window is approx 35" tall, same width.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named hardware.JPG
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! It appears you have the S900-34 tilt window spiral balance with a 3/8" diameter and a white tip, which is rated to support a sash weighing 7 to 22lbs. Although, you'll want to be sure that the length of the metal tube from your balance is actually 34" and the diameter 3/8". Also besure to double check the tip color for each balance. Let me know if the measurements are not a match.

There are a few different pivot shoes compatible with this spiral balance, so I'll need to see a photo of them removed from the window. Please confirm the thickness (front to back measurement) of the shoe.

The tilt latches appear to be the 26-351 Better-Bilt Window Latch pair. Carefully review the measurements and compare them to your existing latches to confirm.

Alternate image for 26-351
Alternate image for 26-351

Your sweep lock looks like it could be the 90-005 or the 90-009. Again, you'll need to be sure to compare the dimensions and also the design of the sweep locks to determine which of these might be the right fit for your window.

They each have the same measurements for the installation holes, however, take note of the side by side differences.

Alternate image for 90-005
Alternate image for 90-005

Comparison of 90-005 and 90-009
Comparison of 90-005 and 90-009

Hello, the spiral balance is in fact 34" long 3/8 diameter all white. That's all I really need. The window has always been difficult to raise and lower. I assume the pivot shoes are at the bottom of the window? I really don't want to take the window out and put it back together more than once. If the shoes aren't expensive can I just buy them and use what I need when I do the job. I'll just toss the ones I don't need. Your thoughts? Thanks so much for your help!!!

There are several different types of pivot shoes compatible with the type of spiral balance you have. I can narrow it down to four that are most commonly used, however there is still a chance that none of them will fit and that it could be one of the many others. I've linked a few of them to this post.

You will have to make the decision on if you would just like to buy them to see which would be the best fit. Although, the best course of action would be to remove the shoe so that you can ensure you are getting the right replacements. 

Good Friday morning. Per your recommendation I removed the sash and weighed it, 30lbs. I'm glad I did because I may have ordered the wrong balances. Being it 30lbs I'll need 2 yellow balances, correct?
The pivot shoes are confusing me though. I've attached pictures of them for your expert opinion.
The best I can tell is they are 1" wide, 2" tall and 3/8" deep. I believe they are the 15-045???
Lastly, will I need both the installation and charging tool?

Thank you for all of your help and look forward to hearing back from you.

The photos of the pivot shoes did not upload, unfortunately. However, to confirm if part 15-045 is the best replacement you'll need to confirm the measurements. Look over the dimensions on the diagram below and compare them to your shoe to determine if these are the right fit.

Dimensions for 15-045
Dimensions for 15-045

The charging tool used with these balances is part 75-006.

Can you see them now?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named picture of shoe in track.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named height.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named depth.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Width.JPG

Yes, I can see them. They appear to be the same shoe however, you'll need to confirm the measurements for sure using the measuring tape and the presented diagram to confirm.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.