Window Balance Replacement Parts

A handy person from Portland, OR says:
Hi,

I recently had a window balance pop loose from the sash. I have Milgard, single hung, non-tilt windows. When I removed the balance I noticed that the top portion was damaged (parts of the catch area were chipped off and it was missing the spacer on one side). The top sash guide was also heavily damaged, as you can see.

The top sash guide appears to be 5/8" and looks similar to this product: https://www.swisco.com/5-8-Top/pd/Top-Sash-Channel-Balance-Guides/18-188 though the measurements of all the other dimensions are all slightly off (1/8" or less), but I was unsure if that was an exact match or close enough that it would suffice.

As far as the top, plastic portion of the balance itself, I was having a harder time determining how to size it properly. It is 9/16" wide, 1 1/4" length and 11/16" deep.

I was also unsure of the rivet size needed to re-affix the top portion. Are those fairly standard?

A photo of the balance stamp is also included to help narrow it down. It's a 27" balance, if that matters in the above cases.

Thanks for your help and time,
Joe
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Joe. I do agree with you in going with our 18-188 top sash guide as a replacement. As for the channel balance, we need to see the other side of the balance to take a look at the other balance shoe in order to decide what balance could be used as a replacement. Send that over and we will go from there.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. Attached are the photos you requested.

-joe
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! This looks like a special kind of balance that will have to be custom made. Thanks to these pictures, we can definitely make it, but we will need to know how many you need. Once I know that, I'll email you an order link and price quote.

Hi Tom, thanks for the response. I only actually need one of the top pieces, the bottom is still in good condition. Though, having a few extra around is never a bad idea. Can you quote me for a single set as well five pairs?

thanks again,
joe
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Joe. To clarify, when you say you only need one of the top pieces, do you mean the top nylon cap on your balance? If so, that'd be our 19-005. We even have a video that shows you how to replace it, which I'll post below. These aren't a special order, you can buy these directly from our site whenever you wish.

Hi Tom,

That is correct. I just need the cap that will catch the window's top sash guide. That piece you linked seems to fit the bill. Thankfully the bottom guide is undamaged. I think with that new piece you suggested I'll be all set. The only remaining question i have is, is there a specific rivet i should use based on the balance i have?

thanks!
joe
Profile picture of Tom

Yep! We recommend the 62-005. You may also be interested in our 75-075 rivet installation tool.

Amazing, thanks so much for all your help!
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a channel balance attachment
How to replace a channel balance attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.