Window Balance replacement

A quick learner says:

The metal part of the balance is 21" long. It has a string coming down from the bottom of the metal part to the pivot part that the window bottom fits into. One of the pictures above shows the broken one with the string loose from the pivot part. The top screw holding the metal part is 3 1/2 inches down from the top. The bottom screw is just dow from the bottom of the metal. The sash weighs 18.5 lbs.

The metal part of the balance measure 9/16 from inside to the outside of the window or building. The side of the metal piece measures 0.675 inches.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1152.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1154.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1155.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1156.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1165.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we'll need to see photos of an undamaged balance and pivot shoe fully removed from the window to research your replacement options. Thank you!

A quick learner from Gloucester MA says:
I ordered 4 series 770 balances because they look the same as mine. Notice the pivot shoe has a knot holding the end of the string from the balance. I can't remove the balance because there isn't a notch to take it our. The window frame is all aluminum. I tried to cut a notch but it is very difficult.

Most of the pivot shoe is plastic except the part that turns. If I cut the plastic to remove the shoe can the 795 pivot shoe be inserted without a notch.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3623.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3624.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

You might be able to use the S795-21 channel balance that comes with a 1-1/4" wide T-Lock shoe if your original shoe measures 1-1/4" wide and 9/16" thick. For an 18.5 lbs. sash, you would use a 21D strength option for a sash weighing between 18-22 lbs. Take a look and see what you think. 

A quick learner from Gloucester MA says:
Thank you that is what I had hoped.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.