Window Channel Balance

A home owner from Florida says:
Hello,

I have 2 windows that require replacement channel balances. The current ones have damaged parts.

Both are PGT "Non-Tilt Windows" with "1/2 inch wide" balances.
The larger one is 41 inches long and reads "40 5 JS Caldwell".
The smaller one is 24 inches long and reads "23 9 B.S.I. MC".
The attached photos are marked "Large/Small".

Let me know what options are available.

Thanks,
Xander
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Xander. We can help you replace these balances; but the 41" balance will have to be custom made. It looks like a Series 390 Channel Balance; this comes with our 19-002 and 15-001 nylon attachments. Do those match up with the dimensions of your old part? Let us know. Also, can you confirm how many you need? Is it just (2) for the one window?

For the 24" balance: I can't see the top nylon attachment in your pictures. Could you provide a photo of it? Is it the same as the attachment in the longer balance? Let us know, as the style of nylon attachments is crucial to identifying the right replacement. Finally, the stamp number 20 9 is for an older rating system we no longer use. To know which of our stamp options to select, could you weigh your window sash? That precise weight can be matched with one of the weight ranges listed along each stamp option on the product page. If your window's weight does not match any of our weight ranges, let us know. 

The part size dimensions match with both of the window balances. I don't have the ability to weigh the balances at the moment.

However, the parts may be slightly different. The attachments are different from each other. I have attached photos of both balances in a side-by-side comparison. The 24" balance is on the left & the 41" balance is to the right.

Also, the top attachments, have "wings" that stick out to the sides, which the part 19-002 doesn't seem to have. Are the "wings" needed?

I would need 4 of the 41 inch balance & 2 of the 24 inch balance. Let me know what the price for each balance would be.

I have another item that I need help identifying. I will put that in the next post.

Thanks,

Xander

The other item I need to identify, is some sort of cap that attaches to the top of the sliding window.
2 of the photos show the item and the others show the location of it.

Thank you for your help,
Xander
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You're right, those bottom fittings do look a little different. Can you confirm their depths? Consider our 15-001 and 15-002. I think you might each of these on your respective balances. The 15-001 is 1-1/8" deep while the 15-002 is only 1" deep. Carefully measure your fittings and let me know. Make sure to account for wear when you measure; what I mean by that is, the depth may be a little lesson yours than it once was.

The top fitting looks more like our 19-005. I'm confident that's a match. We just need to know what those bottom fittings are.

Once you've confirmed the attachments we can work from there. I can email you a custom order link and price quote 41" balance, which will allow you to add it to your cart as if it were a normal item. The 24" balance is standard and you can add that to your cart from our site whenever you wish, just as soon as you determine the combination of nylon fittings and weigh your sash.

Finally, this other part you show is known as a top sash guide. Yours looks like our 18-015 but I highly recommend comparing your dimensions to ours to confirm.

The width of both bottom fittings measure 1-1/16". Accounting for wear, this means the 1-1/8" wide, part 15-001 should be the one.

19-005 matches the top fittings of both.

Could you provide me with a quote for each balance?

Thank you,
Xander
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Great! I'll send you an order link and price quote right now for two 41" long balances. This will have a 15-001 bottom and 19-005 top. 

The other part would be our S395-24, which does not have to be custom made. You can see all pricing information on its store page. All you have to do is weigh your sash to confirm the best option, since your stamp (23 9) is outdated and no longer used by manufacturers.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.