Window Coil Balance

A home owner from Ohio says:
I have several windows where the metal spring has broken on the balance. Attached are pictures of one from a window where the spring isn't broken. Are you able to identify what type I should order?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230529_105338.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230529_105347.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230529_105359.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230529_105504.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! To confirm the right replacement coil balance assembly for your window, I'll need to see photos of the parts removed from the window channel. You'll also need to have the parts removed from the window to confirm the measurements for these parts.

I'll also need to know the stamp/marking on the metal coils to determine the correct spring strength needed for your window. if there are no stamps/markings, I'll need to know the exact weight of your window.

A home owner from Ohio says:
I am hesitant to take the coils out of the frame as I fear that they will break and I won't be able to seal up the window. We did take the window out and weigh it - 21.2 lbs. The mechanism looks to me to be a series 210 double coil.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230613_101024.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230613_100608.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230613_100602.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230613_095712.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230613_095705.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

It appears that these could be the Series 161, however, they also look like they could be the 15-087 coil housing pivot along with the 15-086 tandem housing. I am leaning more towards the 15-087, given that your housing appears to have a plastic cam instead of a metal one like the Series 161 coil. The only way to confirm which of these is the correct series is to carefully compare the measurements for the housing of each part.

Detail of 15-087
Detail of 15-087

Alternate image for S161-03
Alternate image for S161-03

The coil housing pivot is compatible with the Series 180 coil balance spring. To determine which spring is needed for your housing, you'll need to look for any stamps/marking on the metal coil. If there are no stamps/markings or they cannot be read and/or cross-referenced, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of the sash. Then you'll take the sash weight and divide it by the total number of coils in the window.

For an idea on how to remove/install these balance assemblies, take a look at the video below from our Swisco YouTube channel. I hope this helps!

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.