Window Coil Balance Replacement

A quick learner from Rhode Island says:
I have two window sashes that won't stay up. They both use the coil system, and am looking for replacement parts. Is it possible to change the coil system to a spring system when I replace the parts? OR does it have to be replaced like for like?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named coil 2 .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named coil 1.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We always recommend sticking with the same style you have now. Yours in particular looks like an older version of our 15-192 pivot shoe and Series 170 coil spring. Look these parts over and let me know if you had any questions. You will need the stamp off the old spring to confirm the best Series 170 option.

Great, thank you so much for the great information! My question right now is this-the shoe is giving me a hard time in trying to come off. The pieces of this window are 23 years old, so they are all stuck in place and difficult to get out. What would be a good trick to get that shoe lose and moving? I've tried to spin it and pull it up, but it will not budge.
Profile picture of Tom

That's a tough one. There could be a few different issues. One is that there could be debris clogging up the works; sometimes, especially in high winds, debris can sneak in from outside specifically in that track. Another possibility is that it's simply old and a little stuck in there, in which case you could try lubricating with silicone spray. That should be the first thing you try.

The last possibility, and most problematic, is that the lock pads are stuck and won't retract. That will make removing this shoe very difficult. Fortunately, this is not very common. The most tried and true solution with this problem is to cross our fingers and hope that's not what it is! It usually works for me, anyway. Try the silicone spray and let me know how it goes. If it's more than that, we will deal with it accordingly.

I finally received the silicone spray, and it worked! I had to take my flat head and hammer the shoes up once I was able to turn them, but they were able to finally get loose with the spray. I added pictures of the parts here! I just wanted to confirm with the ones you were showing me I could purchase. Thank you!!!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 169B5E3F-5D99-4ADD-B8B8-692F3E63E07B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 579BC508-4E19-41B0-8876-05D4D3B054AF.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

That's fantastic news! I'm glad you were able to get them out. Looking at them here, I am confident that the parts I mentioned above are correct. Yours look a little different but I think you just have older versions of what we sell. They should still function the same way.

Perfect! Thank you so much for your help! I'm just waiting on the pivot shoes to get back in stock and I'll be ordering all the parts I need ASAP!

I had one more question-so I have the same type of windows all in my house. What can cause the bottom sash of a window to be super hard to open? It's so tight that I can't even get it to lift up at all!
Profile picture of Tom

There could be a couple reasons why that happens and it all pretty much comes down to the balances. The first thing you should do is check the side tracks and make sure there's no dirt or debris that may be clogging up the operation of the balances. Wind and weather commonly blow dirt, leaves, and whatever else up and into these tracks over the years.

Next, after you clean them, get some silicone spray from a local hardware store and lubricate the tracks so that they slide more easily. Sometimes older balances just get a little stuck and lubrication helps get them going again.

In most cases that will fix the issue for you. However, if it persists, then it's time to replace the balances entirely. The springs have probably failed due to age and use and have to go.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.