Window Coil Parts Needed

A quick learner from Boston, MA says:
Hello,

The coils on both sides of my window broke. These are pictures of the right side coil assembly. There is not a clear number stamped any where, but I think there is a 7 on the spring, but it also looks like upside down L D. It is the same for the left assembly, however the shoe is also broken on the left. The sash weighs approximately 21 pounds. The only identifier of the window brand itself says Alumabilt. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you! Joey
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1172.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1171 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1173.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Joey. This is a 15-175 Pivot Shoe, which uses Series 152 Coil Balances. Look for stamps on the springs to determine what spring weights you need. If you're uncertain, give me the exact weight of the window sash and we can work it out for you. For supports and covers, use the 15-145, 15-144 and 15-143 for each coil.

Hi Bob, There is what appears to be a 7 (first picture above) on the top coil and nothing on the bottom coil. The window sash weighs 21 pounds.
Profile picture of Bob

Four 7 pound springs would equate 28 pounds of support, which is a little too strong for your 21 pound sash. Instead, you may want to consider using one 5 pound spring and one 6 pound spring on each side. That would be 22 pounds of support, which is still a little strong but not by that much.

Is too strong bad? Does it matter if the 5 lb coil or 6 lb coil is in the top or bottom position when assembled?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Bob

Too strong is bad, yes. If the springs are too strong then the window will be harder to close. It could even drift open all on its own.

It doesn't matter if the 6 goes on top of the 5 or vice versa, but whichever way you pick make sure it's the same on both sides so that their operation is symmetrical.

Hopefully this is my last question, if too strong is bad than should I go a little lighter and get 4, 5lb springs? Thank you for your help.
Profile picture of Bob

Too weak would just give you the opposite problem. When it comes to balance spring strength, you have to think of it like Goldilock's porridge. Not too strong, not too weak. It has to be just right.

In your case, you have an odd numbered sash weight, so it won't be possible to get it exactly right just by the nature of how weight is calculated. You can't get an even number by cutting an odd number in quarters. So you just have to get as close as you can. A total spring support of 22 pounds should be just fine for a 21 pound sash. That's just a 1 pound difference. A total support of 18 pounds, which you suggest here, may also be fine, but you're starting to stray from the original weight. That's a 3 pound difference. Maybe not the end of the world, but the further you get from 21 pounds the worse your performance is going to be.

This was incredibly helpful, thank you so much. I will order the parts and I hope to have success fixing my window. Thank you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.