Window Coil Spring Strap

A home owner from Portland, Oregon says:
The coil strap on my vinyl window has snapped. The window is an LbL vinyl series 2600 SH 24"x42". The strap channel is 9/16ths of an inch wide and @ 1-3/8th inches deep.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named windowcoilspring1.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hi there. I believe when you say "strap", you are referring to the coil spring. Our Series 180 may be the replacement you need. Your spring should have a number stamped on it. We will need that number to be able to provide a part number. If there is not a part number on the spring, get back to us with the weight of your sash. 

Yes the coil spring has broken off just above the cassette? I can only see what I think is a patent #: PAT 5.353.348 on the cassette. It looks to me as though I would need to replace the whole cassette and if you can give me some clues as to how to remove it from the channel?I'd appreciate it ( I'll see if I can find something on YouTube). The sash weight is between 6-8 lbs. Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Paul

Starting off with your sash weight, it's never a good idea to guess the weight. You want to be as exact as possible. As for some guidance on removing the coil spring system, see if the video below could help. It's not the exact coil system you have, but it may still provide some pointers on removing the part from the window.

Thanks Paul?I removed the sash and weighed it ?10 lbs. even. Do I still need to remove coil cassette or can you tell from new picture I uploaded if you have a replacement? thanks.
?Craig
Profile picture of Paul

The S180 coil does look like a good match but you'll want to remove the coils to confirm since you can only see part of the balance while it's installed. As for the weight, an S180-5 on each side of the window should do the trick. Thank you for contacting us.

Thanks Paul. I damaged it getting it out but does my new photo help to confirm? And will I need to replace the good one on the other side as well?
-Craig
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5E8F3BE6-2C4C-44C6-914B-8B1914EF2D93.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you for the additional photo, Craig. Your coil does look similar to our S180-5. As for the pivot shoe, the 15-087 looks like it will work. It's always best when replacing one side to replace the other side to increase the longevity of your replacement parts. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.