Window Glazing Bead

A handy person from Bothell, WA says:
Our 1988 aluminum Milgard windows work fine, but the plastic glazing bead is cracking apart. We're looking for replacement parts. Can you tell me what I need to order?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Glazing Bead.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I believe we can help you, but we just need some help from you. Could we have you remove a sample of the bead from the window and send photos of it from an end profile? We will also need for you to provide measurements of the bead? Use the diagram below as a guide for the type of information we need. 

Profile view of 55-195
Profile view of 55-195

Unfortunately the glazing bead has become extremely brittle. I tried to cut a small section out with an Exacto knife, but it shattered. Instead I took two pictures of a shattered edge with my tape measure alongside, and made a sketch with measurements (+/- 1/32"). Hopefully that's enough.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6079.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6080.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Measurements.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks for getting back to us with photos. Please look over our 55-202 snap-in glazing. We don't have the height,5/8". However,  we do have the width, 1/2" which seems to be the critical dimension. Review it and let us know what you think.

I stopped by my local Milgard dealer who said they don't replace glazing bead. They did, however, give me a sample of Milgard part VA0203GBBL. It doesn't fit because the back leg is too short. The attached photo shows an edge-on view of both. The rough looking one is the damaged existing one; the clean one is the Milgard VA0203GBBL. The sketch shows the dimensions I measured from a piece I extracted.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Comparison to Milgard VA0203GBBL.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Dimensional Sketch.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Take a look and see if our 55-195 glazing bead would be a better match. Review our measurements carefully and see what you think. 

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.