Window Hinge Issues

A home owner from USA says:

Good afternoon, yesterday I spoke with a very informed gentleman about an awning window I am having difficulty getting to close completely, after I had successfully installed a 39-069 operator that I had purchased from you. I removed the factory installed kerf weather stripping. The sash sits too low to close past the frame detail that is located outside the kerf cut and there is play in the sash which keeps it lower in the frame. 

It was suggested that I take pictures of the hinge mechanism and the kerf cut which is clean and free of debris. Once you have studied the attached photos would you please contact me or make a recommendation as to correct this problem. I assume the next step would be to replace the metal slides and the plastic components to help orient the sash for successful closing. But what do I know. I would appreciate any advice you can offer. 

The metal slides are 14"long and the plastic (nylon) slides are 2"long. I hope this is a useful insertion. 

As an aside, a very knowledgeable sales associate at Kuiken Bros. Lumber in Warwick, NY provided me with your contact information and I am certainly glad he did. 

Thank you, I am patiently awaiting a response

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us! Based on your description it sounds like it could either be a problem with the hinges or the new 39-069 operator. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the latter; if your hinges worked fine all this time I would think it's suspicious that they suddenly stopped working now.

I know one issue with the 39-069 on older windows is that the base can be a different size compared to the older hardware. In my experience it takes a lot of trial and error to mount it properly on the sill. My working theory right now is that your operator base is a little too far forward on the sill, which result in it not closing all the way.

I'm not sure exactly what process you followed to install these, so please forgive me if my assumption is inaccurate. I'm just going by projects I've done in the past that had similar issues. That said, my first suggestion would be to unscrew the 39-069 from the sill and move it back a little by hand. Then try closing the window and see if a different position on the sill helps matters. Don't screw it in to do this, just hold it firmly in place. You may need to slide it around before you find the sweet spot.

If not, you can try out new hinges to see if they help. Since yours are 14" long I would recommend the 36-049. These have a slightly different design but as long as you replace both sides at the same time then that shouldn't be a problem.

Good afternoon Tom, thank you for your response. When I removed the original operator and then the kerf storm molding I attempted to close the window without the new operator in place. The window will not close entirely (against the stop). I subsequently installed the new operator, which as you noticed is not exactly the same dimension, however, I modified the wooden operator molding cover due to the difference in dimensions and then without attaching it to the sash tested to see if it would close to a locked position. It did and when I attached the operator to the sash, the sash would not close passed the frame detail in front of the kerf storm molding. The same condition that I mentioned at the inception of this conversation. Under NO circumstance can I get the window to close against the stop either attached to or separate from the operator. Hence, my conclusion is that the nylon glide is worn and needs replacement. By the way the window is square, Thank you, Bill. I look forward to your reply.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your logic is 100% sound. With all that in mind, I agree with your original assessment: the hinges may very well be your problem. It's possible that they're just a little too deteriorated from age and use.

I would recommend our 36-049, then. Replacing both hinges on either side of your sash will ensure a symmetrical operation despite the differences in design.

Tom, thank you. I will place an order in the morning when my brain has rested a bit. I will, of course, provide feedback as to success or failure with our combined effort. Thank you, Bill Whyard
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.