Window Lock

A home owner from Chicago says:
Hi! I'm not the original poster but I'm also looking for a replacement of this part. I've attached a photo, the tongue is roughly 3/8s of an inch high and 3/4 of an inch wide. The screws you can see are 2 & 1/4 inches apart, the broken latch still has screws that are tricky to access/measure, but seem to be a bit less than an inch apart. Any help you might be able to provide would be much appreciated!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221229_154759537.MP.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! This lock appears to be a match for our 90-005, but look it over and let me know if you agree.

Alternate image for 90-005
Alternate image for 90-005

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for the help! It does look like a match to me, but does that part include the little lip that the sash lock catches when the window is closed/locked?

That little lip is all I need, but I'll purchase 90-005 if that piece/connector is included!
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I thought you were only looking for the lock itself. It sounds like you're describing the keeper here, which the 90-005 unfortunately doesn't come with.

The trouble is, our 90-005 isn't designed to work with any keeper at all. Instead the tongue sweeps under a gap in the glazing on the top sash. 

I can't clearly make out a keeper in your window, so I'm not sure what kind is in use here. Would it be possible to see it removed?

No worries at all! Its been really tricky for me to make any progress on replacing the part, so I appreciate your help!

It looks like the keeper was broken in half, which is why it was not visible in the last photo. The first two photos I attached are the keeper that I removed and need replaced (since it was truly just a thin piece of plastic screwed into the top of the window).

I took a look at another window in my home with the same locking mechanism, hopefully the additional photos help! They show the keeper in place with the window locked and open.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230104_234747904.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230104_234759375.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230104_234917261.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230104_234944549.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Now that's a weird one. I'm sorry to say I've never seen a keeper like this before. It may be unique to the window, but I'm not sure.

Not all hope is lost. I have an idea that may work for you, though it's admittedly a bit of a hail mary. I think you may be able to get our 90-282 recessed keeper to work. This is a very different style compared to your original, but it mounts the same way and may indeed act in the same capacity. I only have three concerns.

The first is that the 90-282 is probably too shallow. Yours is pretty tall, just eyeballing it. With that in mind it may be necessary to pack it out a little with washers (or something similar). On the other hand, it may not be necessary at all. If you go this route then you should try it out first as-is and see how it goes.

My second concern is that the 90-005 that I previously recommended doesn't have a sweep that is made to work with a keeper like this. With that in mind I would suggest our 90-009 instead. This is identical to the former except that the sweep has a bit of a notch to it, allowing it to lock into something like the 90-282 keeper.

Lastly, you'll almost certainly have to drill new holes to install the 90-282 keeper.

I should reiterate that I am not 100% confident that this will work for you, but I think it's our best option. Review these parts and see what you think!

Dimensions for 90-282
Dimensions for 90-282

Alternate image for 90-009
Alternate image for 90-009

A quick learner from AZ says:
Is the 90-005 Window Sash Lock made with a 1/4" throw (tongue) version?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that we do not. The 90-005 has the smallest throw of all the locks we carry in this size at 3/8".

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.