Window Part

A home owner from Ohio says:
A metal part measuring 2.5" long, with the number "6236" machined on it. A metal tab protrudes from one end. This part was screwed onto the bottom of the lower window, a vertical, double-paned, double-hung window with the text "01-4 AWS WS-5" etched into the lower left corner of the lower window. The window was installed in 2001.

This part broke at one of the two screw points. It protruded out from the bottom of this window, and slotted into some mechanism within the window frame. This occurred while attempting to put the window back into place after tilting it inward to clean the exterior glass.

I have been unable to track down the manufacturer, to find a replacement part. There is no certification sticker on the window.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D28772F8-07C8-48B5-B253-B301029A3D9A.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Your pivot bar, marked "6236," is no longer made. Our previous customers have used our 26-021 as a replacement. Take a look and see what you think!

A home owner from Ohio says:
Thanks Julia. I'm not sure that part #26-021 will work as a replacement. Notice that on the original part, the metal tab protrudes up from and perpendicular to the broad side of the pivot bar. On part #26-021, the metal tab is smaller and oriented to the pivot bar in a different fashion. It protrudes up from and perpendicular to the narrow side of the pivot bar, and only on one side.

If you still believe that part #26-021 will work as a replacement, I'll go ahead and order it. Please let me know if there is another replacement part that more closely resembles the original.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Julia isn't here today but I'll do my best to help.

According to my records, she is correct, though; your old "6236" bar hasn't been made in years but we've had reports from other customers that the 26-021 works fine. One way we can confirm for you is if you show me a picture of your old pivot shoe. If I can see that, I can tell you if the 26-021 will be compatible or not.

Keep in mind that a pivot bar only needs to serve two functions in order to work: it has to fit in the pivot shoe and it has to fit in the sash. The front tip is what determines whether it will fit in any given pivot shoe, and even that has a lot of wiggle room. As for fitting in the sash, that's determined by the placement of the screw holes and, to a lesser extent, the size of the stem. Aside from those details, it doesn't matter much what it looks like.

How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.