5.5 Coil Window Parts

A handy person from Dayton Ohio says:
Could you recommend replacement parts? These are from simonton windows from 1997.

Best Regards,
Danny
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191104_150140.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191104_150147.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191104_150151.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named MVIMG_20191104_150146.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Danny. Looks like you need all new coil balances. I'm very confident that we can offer a good match, but we'll need a bit more information.

First, can you tell me the thickness of the coil itself?

Next, can you show me a photo of the pivot shoe to which this part attaches? 

With that information, I should be able to determine what you need to repair your window.

A handy person from Dayton Ohio says:
Thanks for the reply, The coil is 1/2" wide and the Pivot Shoe is the 15-111 part that you carry. Thank you so much.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Perfect! In that case, I recommend our S160-5 coil spring. This carries 5.5 pounds per spring, which appears to match the stamp on your old one, and it is fully compatible with our 15-111. The design of the hole is a little different but I don't think that will come into play, as long as you don't mix and match old springs.

Oh, one last thing. It's a little tough to make out but it looks like your old spring is stamped with '64" '. This indicates a travel of 64", which is not a size they make anymore. All of our coil springs, S160-5 included, have a travel of 35".

This might matter, depending on whether your coils are installed at the top of the track. When you install the new springs for the first time, close the window very slowly and gently to make sure that you have the travel necessary to close it all the way. If you can, great, no worries. If you find it hangs up, though, then you'll have to lower the position of the springs to make up for the difference in travel.

Hopefully that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.